cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photographing glass/crystal

laikhe-rvn69
Enthusiast
Help, i have forgotten photo101. what is a good format to use in phtographing clear glass & crystal objects, can't seem to get it right somehow. thnks..laikhe
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Hi and welcome! My preference is natural light, so I set the item near a window, usually with a black fabric background. If the weather is nice, I take the photo outside, making sure that the background isn't too distracting. The sun sparkling off the glass looks much better than the reflection from a flash. Good luck! bb
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Hi Laikhe and WELCOME! I agree with BB. Check out her photo album to see her great pictures. Just one other thing to mention is to take photos of the subject full view from the side, one of the bottom and if there is a design you want to highlight take a photo looking down into the bowl or glass etc. Natural light is best as BB said but if you can't manage that florescent lighting is better than the standard light bulb. Some people build a light box to stage their pieces but that is a whole nother story. I never got around to making one myself. I hope this information is useful. Let us know how it works out for you. We always love to see new glass photos.:-D -- Warmest Regards, Yan
Warmest Regards,
Yan
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

mousehollow
Enthusiast
Photographing glass = a challenge sometimes! I've got several friends that are professional photographers, one of their common subjects is gemstones. We all have challenges with this so thought I'd share a link with wonderful info about this subject. Jamey hates to spend money on 'fancy' when something else inexpensive can just as easily and successfully be used. That makes it MUCH nicer! Hopefully you'll be able to take advantage of some of these suggestions. Check out the very first thread to start...I hope this is OK, I can personally vouch for the safety of this website, I'm an Administrator..... http://gemaddicts.com/forums/index.php?board=37.0
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

laikhe-rvn69
Enthusiast
Thank you all so much. the replys have been most helpful, now to put them into practice. Bless....jwl
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

LOTS OF LIGHT
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

outside in the early morning or evening hours.......that used to be the only way i could do it...
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

or put a black piece of paper behind it. I havent done that for a while though since construction paper is not a household staple with teenagers just little kids.
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

hedgehogzoom
Enthusiast
Hi & Welcome, Laikhe! I, too, must put this advice into practice 'cause all I get is a big white startling blur when I try to photograph crystal! LOL! Hedgie
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

i used to too....also do not aim right at it...sort of angle if you know what i mean....so your flash doesnt hit it spot on....i could never do it either it has taken me 10 years and i still stink.....
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

The link is dead!

Message 11 of 11
latest reply