cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to this Dallas group with concerns about recent changes from eBay and how it pertains to me.

Hi, I see all of us just recently joined this forum and if like me it was because you have questions that need answered. I want to continue to sell on eBay but the constant changes get to me. I have sold for 10 yrs or more and small time personal stuff only take PayPal and do my own mailing. Now they want to use my cking acct direct for payments and mentions of 1099's scare me and I don't do managed payments. Paypal has always been instant and I get statements that are easy to keep track. Sounds like trying to cut out Paypal.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

New to this Dallas group with concerns about recent changes from eBay and how it pertains to me.

Hi again a year later from Iceskater44. This year looks better, no worry of IRS 1099 tax forms now for a while , I have my new bank account set up for my pay out's and Ebay does a fast job of paying. I sell a variety of stuff from my house and inherited stuff and hobbies of myself and family. I try to price really low and I also pay for free shipping to make it simple. I love to respond and get response from my buyers and so far all  has been positive and most folks are nice. Only question I see now is the hundreds of multiple listings from China and India that are so cheap I wonder how those sales go and if customers are pleased. I also see their adds for fur products that are endangered and they don't adhere to Ebay's strict guidelines. Anyone in the Dallas/FtWorth area have any problems let us hear from you! Good selling to all, Gigi.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Hi long time. Lucky you not to get a 1099K. We so far so good depending on what you are selling customer interactions can be different ; I am in a very competitive electronics category but I try to stay vigilant. I have a little experience after dealing with over 20K customers over the years. Free shipping always helps I only make customers pay shipping on certain items especially if heavy... I don't want to pay $200 shipping for an item going to Alaska... Anyway, sellers from China have flooded the market place but seems the big shots are looking the other way so long as $$ is flowing into eBays pockets. It is sad for us small business owners that we have to go e up more if we want to make more...Hopefully the trend doesn't continue otherwise I  personally will be out. The cost of doing business keeps going up but not the profit. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

You "only make customers pay shipping on certain items especially if heavy" . . . so, if you are offering free shipping, which is what you seem to be saying, are you building the shipping cost into the cost of the item? If not, and the cost of doing business appears to be going up, wouldn't that be part of the reason? 

And, if you sold an item to an Alaskan that will cost $200 to ship, shouldn't that buyer be paying the shipping fee?

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Of course I factor the shipping cost into ( free shipped) items and yes certain heavy items do not ship for free because of myriads of variables based on my own assessment and calculated shipping options available. Nothing complicated. When you sell in volumes you start noticing the difference. The cost of shipping the 2021 was 13K, 15K for 2022...however if I increase the price of items against other sellers I risk having items on shelves longer...in business time is money...shelved goods are not...so I am forced to get rid of them albeit at lower profit margins than I could years past...increased eBay fees and increased shipping. It is not a one shoe fits all situation, selling experiences are as diverse as the goods sold.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply