cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avoid CGC like the plague

Been a collector for many years and finally took the plunge sending my Hulk #1 to CGC for grading. Spent almost $200 Performing a Huge Mistake. I have seen many comic graded by CGC over the years and mine should have graded at least a 3 but have seen 3.5-4.5 on a regular basis for the condition. Those clowns at CGC graded a 2.5. When contacted they would not even respond to my concerns. Awful customer service, quoting a 15 business day turn around (taking 23 business days) and Not responding to my concerns. Needless to say I am done with that "Business" and will Ballyhoo CGC nonsense till the day I die. Was leary when they started and now confirmation has been had. 1 last note, I dislike their changing the grading system that had been in place so long.

Message 1 of 105
latest reply
104 REPLIES 104

What you feel like your books might grade verse what they do is your personal opinion and helps in no way with others who actually want to learn. If you got a 9.6 it's b/c your book is a 9.6 lol.

Message 91 of 105
latest reply

No true I'm a small time submitter and get get high grades on my submissions b/c the book deserves the grade.

Message 92 of 105
latest reply

I agree with the guys. Cgc sucks

Message 93 of 105
latest reply

Don't think cgc really check the books.  One time i left them a nake pic in the centerfold and they returned the book sealed with that still in it.

Message 94 of 105
latest reply

This proves the point everyone is saying.  Big dealers get grades they want.

Message 95 of 105
latest reply

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted you all to know how much I've enjoyed this thread. Not the back and forth regarding Sun Blaze, but the knowledge share. This thread spans many years, but in my opinion it should never die. Comments from SevenDust, ActionJackson, StudioHaedes (and yes even Webcity-X) mirror own experience and conclusions perfectly. I'm assembling a display case with various articles of interest that include graded comics, including two raws that I purchased right here off eBay as "Mint 9.8's" that I personally judged as a 9.6 and 9.4 (which was all I really wanted) after educating myself as painstakingly as possible with the 2016 Edition Overstreet Guide (which research indicated was the way to do so). These were by no means valuable books, but they meant something to me personally. But because they were irrelevances to most, I could not buy them pregraded. I did the best diligence I could, not realizing that as an individual that I'd be screwed,  and consequently both came back at 8.5's. With my 1yr CGC sub, I've submitted perhaps 30 books ranging from 1948 to the mid 90's. None of these books have any current popularity, aside from a 1977 Star Wars #1. That one came back as a 7.5 and I'd judged it to be a minimum of a 9.0. (I personally think that CGC is keeping 9.x's of that particular book in as low quantities as possible.)

This is not to say that I haven't received a variety of 9.8 surprises as well. Overall I think I've done reasonably. I just expected to do very much better. I realize I've given you very little with which to analyze my skills, but I can assure I'm a particular individual. I wouldn't have knowingly sent in a book that would come back at a 9.0 unless it was Golden Age. I've since bought many pre-graded books and can make reasonable assessments of the low grades I've received that strongly indicate that CGC is unquestionably manipulating the market. It's just good business to keep your heavy submitters happy with 9.8's while keeping the 9.8 pop down by degrading individual submitters. With no true oversight, it is what it is.

In any case, I'm assembled an amusing printout of your best replies and added the below footnote. I've laminated and set it up next to some of the more befuddling examples of CGC tomfoolery.

...I happened upon this eBay thread one day for reasons I don’t recall. It mirrors precisely my own experience. I could have sent in my books via my local Comic Book Retailer, but he said something about 12-24 month long waits (vs 3-4 in my actual experience). I didn’t want to coordinate with them and besides I’ve never trusted comic book retailers. They’re typically slovenly, jaded, irresponsible rebels that mishandle my books even when I make it clear No Touchy. They almost always treat them as if they can’t be damaged.

In any case, I don’t regret sending them in myself. There was really no way to ingest the contents of this thread without experiencing it firsthand. You’d just think it paranoia otherwise. I will consider using a local retailer in the future, but at this point I just buy pre-graded books...

Message 96 of 105
latest reply

No he shouldn't. I agree to disagree.

Message 97 of 105
latest reply

Sorry for your experience, however, I have never ever had a problem. They are amazing and thorough. If you want to pay extra, you can expedite the grading. I am of the thinking that I would rather care and diligence be performed, which will take time. Love You CGC. Thank you for all you do for the community, the craft of collecting, and for giving us comic lovers a valuable baseline for value. Lastly, they do offer graders notes online and you can see exactly why a book received the grade it did. I would suggest you not use them and try a different company if you disagree with the grade. If you receive a similar grade, sadly it may be you not them. Again, sorry for your experience but I find it unfair to slander a resource that some people (many people) swear by. Have an awesome collecting experience and I hope you enjoy your 'hobby'- 

Message 98 of 105
latest reply

And just like the post office, if your book does get damaged, well good luck trying to get them to pay.

Their price isn't based on insurance. It's based on greed.  I can see a small paying a small premium to grade a GA book vs a BA book, but hundreds, or even more, to grade an Action # 1 in VF vs the same book in FR? I can't justify that. 

Yes, they have to make a profit to stay in business, but that's not what it is. IMHO, greed is what hurt the market 30 years ago with multiple cover gimmicks and greed is going to be the downfall eventually. Charging for the graders notes? 

And good for the guy that mentions he expects his new books to be handled with the same care as an AF 15. If they are sending it in, it's valuable to them and should be cared for with great care. To expand a little more on his analogy: does the surgeon charge 10 times as much to operate on the 80 yo lady as he does the 25 yo? No. The Dr pays a lump sum for malpractice insurance. 

Finally, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Just because we have a difference of opinion doesn't mean anyone is an idiot or lacking in common sense. I may not agree with everything here, but I can respect the writer and try to see things from their point of view.

Happy collecting!!!

Message 99 of 105
latest reply

I can blow this story right out of the water. I sent them a Giant Size X-Men #1 and they stole it.

Literally.

Stole the comic.

After hiding this from me for six months they finally admitted that one of their ex-employees may have taken a few books. May have? 

After heated argument over what a fair replacement would be we decided that they would do whatever they wanted and they settled on a check for what I perceived to be about 1/5 of what they owed me.

I'm not bitter though...not at all.

Message 100 of 105
latest reply

rynenyne
Scout

It’s a disgrace to entomb a comic.

I’d rather have an old ripped comic over one tou cannot touch or read.

Horrible.

Message 101 of 105
latest reply

CGC is not the gold standard anymore. They cut corners, lose books and overcharge for their services. They merged with a conglomerate and took on grading sports cards. Their slabs are substandard in multiple ways and they’ll grab any person off the street to grade books. I have so many stories about how they will take the money for books that have a minimum grade and just blanket them all as “below grade” and ship the books back to the owner and pocketing the difference. This slabs are substandard and books can get damaged while inside the case. Newton rings and overly flexible cases are second rate.

CBCS is THE ONLY reputable company right now WITH a good product. PGX isn’t sharpe with grading and their cases are awful.  CBCS cases are stiff and far better than the competition. More accurate grades are given by real professionals who are paid well to grade customers books. I won’t go anywhere else. 

Message 102 of 105
latest reply

Hi

i cracked open a ASM 301 cgc graded a 9.6 

had cgc press and clean

took exactly one year

came back a 9.2

**bleep** CGC

IM DONE

40 year collector 

Message 103 of 105
latest reply

You got lucky. 23 days is quick  I sent in 3 comics worth a total or 10g for a signing.  Calling them up they said Signing was busy so artist may or may not get to them. could be 6 months or longer without date.  Then he said they will probably get lower grade even though i am paying them to press after signing.  

Message 104 of 105
latest reply

I ran into some of these same issues recently, over 10 years later with CGC.

I will no longer send comic books to them I will however be sending them to CBCS from now on

Message 105 of 105
latest reply