cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

metal tool--purpose?

This metal tool came in a box with film canisters and the like, but I'm not sure what it is?  Is it for developing film in some way, or is it for something else?  031.JPG

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

metal tool--purpose?

I think it is a spout...but not for oil...It might be a tree tap for maple sugar:

treespike.jpeg

The part behind the "fin" on top goes into a hole drilled in a maple tree to secure the spout (spile) to the tree.

Then the hook goes on the spout to hold a bucket to catch the sap.

Here's a bigger pic link:

https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/878650-tap-my-trees-maple-sugaring-single-spile-and-hook.html

And here's a site from some tree tappers with all kinds of contact information you can use to ask them about yours & either confirm what you have or gather evidence to call me a clueless idiot:

https://tapmytrees.com/

Yours could have either been repurposed by a photographer, just been randomly tossed in the photo box at some point, or actually be something totally different that just looks similar.

Hope this helps.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

metal tool--purpose?

It reminds me of an old oil can opener spout, or oil can spout opener, or whatever they were called. 

-

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

metal tool--purpose?

I'm sure these evolved over the years and i had the same initial thought as you. but where is the pointed can cutter to let the oil out?  Maybe on earlier ones a screwdriver was used to open the can.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

metal tool--purpose?

@maxine*j the other end is closed, so it can't pour anything.  I thought maybe for winding the film or something.  The canisters for holding the 35mm film are metal as are the spools.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

metal tool--purpose?

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

I'm sure these evolved over the years and i had the same initial thought as you. but where is the pointed can cutter to let the oil out?  Maybe on earlier ones a screwdriver was used to open the can.

Detached and disappeared.  But, as it turns out, that is not a spout, anyhow.  It is closed.  so what was only a vague idea to begin with (thought it looked a bit small, too) turned out to be a completely useless one.   😄

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

metal tool--purpose?

I think it is a spout...but not for oil...It might be a tree tap for maple sugar:

treespike.jpeg

The part behind the "fin" on top goes into a hole drilled in a maple tree to secure the spout (spile) to the tree.

Then the hook goes on the spout to hold a bucket to catch the sap.

Here's a bigger pic link:

https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/878650-tap-my-trees-maple-sugaring-single-spile-and-hook.html

And here's a site from some tree tappers with all kinds of contact information you can use to ask them about yours & either confirm what you have or gather evidence to call me a clueless idiot:

https://tapmytrees.com/

Yours could have either been repurposed by a photographer, just been randomly tossed in the photo box at some point, or actually be something totally different that just looks similar.

Hope this helps.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

metal tool--purpose?

Here is the other end"002.JPG

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

metal tool--purpose?

@yankeebob1951  I do believe you are correct!  This one is really old.  It says patented but no date.  I posted a picture of the other end, but it looks right.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

metal tool--purpose?

@maxine*j I posted a picture of the end.  It was closed...until I scraped away some rust to see the slits in the end. 

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

metal tool--purpose?

Looks like part of a corn shucker

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

metal tool--purpose?

This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. This is very nice one and gives indepth information. Thanks for this nice article.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply