cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

jf_treasures

IMG_3336 (1).jpegI tried looking up the artist Mable McKay and all I can find is information on a Native American basket weaver from California. Any information would be greatly appreciated. The signature looks to read H. McKay in my opinion. IMG_3336.jpegIMG_3337.jpeg

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

jf_treasures

My scenario  was light-hearted, Argon.  

It was meant to convey the idea that we can speculate all we care to, and make up any stories we care to, if we find it necessary to explain why the label says "Mable McKay" when the signature is obviously "H. McKay," who is doubtless the Helen McKay already identfied, initially by Mmadigan.

My idea that the label is simply wrong, with a "mistaken identity" story I invented to explain it.   Your idea is that the label is right, so Helen was also known as Mable, a variant spelling of Mabel.   Either idea is plausible. 

-

-

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

jf_treasures

@maxine*j wrote:

My scenario  was light-hearted, Argon.  

I know, but such things aren't always clear to Original Posters. My idea is not that the label is right, but that it might  be right. That's all I've ever said. I was simply trying to leave the door open to a possibility ("Perhaps the label-writer didn't know what they were talking about, but maybe they did"). I never like to be too hasty in jettisoning potential clues.

Anyway, I see from that newspaper clipping that the price of ham is down. Good news for shoppers at last. 🐖

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

jf_treasures

Ham prices may have been down in AZ in 1922, but they sure as heck are not down in PA as of 2022.  🐷

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

jf_treasures

@maxine*j wrote:

Ham prices may have been down in AZ in 1922, but they sure as heck are not down in PA as of 2022.  🐷

So I was slightly out.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

jf_treasures

I still don't know where this label was found in relation to the painting.  It clearly is not on the front of the painting itself.  Where is it?  

Rita

Message 20 of 21
latest reply

jf_treasures

Uncanny, I just watched the British Road Show at Ham House and now we have market reports on ham. This darned internet, I swear to golly!

Message 21 of 21
latest reply