cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ceramic statue makers mark can not identify please help figure out which brand and maker this is

ceramic statue makers mark can not identify please help figure out which brand and maker this is

I do not think it is antique it might be vintage... 

20201115_154038.jpg

 c , 

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Do an internet search for crossed  swords mark on porcelain. If those are swords know that Meissen  porcelain marks are highly counterfeited.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

@briarcreeks. If you posted your ceramic piece on Art and Collectables forum and take more pictures, I'm sure one of the more expert posters could help you, Maxine is one of the best. Good luck to you!

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

I am enclosing some more detailed photos of the 3 pieces that i have, their mark is eluding me i can not find out who it is... I do not believe it is a crude fake it looks carefully made the same on all 3 units 

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Most people do not care to click on links to download unknown files, and in many cases their security settings won't even allow it.  Click on "Reply" to your own post or to this post and use the camera icon that you see on the toolbar to post pictures directly in the thread.

However, the mark in the picture I can see in the first post looks like just another of the zillion fake / imitation / copy / whatever-you-care-to-call them Meissen marks.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Wasn't there a group of famous musical monkeys?  I forget the maker and marks but you might search for them.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

@patd3283 wrote:

Wasn't there a group of famous musical monkeys?  I forget the maker and marks but you might search for them.

The original Monkey Orchestra (Affenkapelle) figures were produced at Meissen by Johann J. Kaendler and Peter Reinicke in the mid-18th century. Meissen were evidently still producing them 200 years later (here's an authentic  Meissen set from 1951):

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/17106/lot/1355/ 

But of course, they were also widely imitated. The Meissen mark is a crossed-swords mark. As md1919 pointed out on the OP's other thread, the mark on these pieces is not a Meissen mark. So the OP's pieces weren't made by Meissen:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Collectibles-Art/can-someone-please-identify-this-ceramic-figurine-mak... 

In fact, on close examination the OP's mark is not even a crossed-swords mark. It is a "V" with some squiggles underneath:

V1.pngV2.png

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

But of course, they were also widely imitated. The Meissen mark is a crossed-swords mark. As md1919 pointed out on the OP's other thread, the mark on these pieces is not a Meissen mark. So the OP's pieces weren't made by Meissen:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Collectibles-Art/can-someone-please-identify-this-ceramic-figurine-mak... 

Ah!   Another thread posted with a different user-ID.   I didn't catch that.  Glad I didn't make an idiot of myself by reading and replying to it as well.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

Ah!   Another thread posted with a different user-ID.   I didn't catch that.

More monkey business.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

20201115_210407.jpg20201115_144146.jpg

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

i do have 2 accounts... but i rarely use the other one so i thought that instead of signing in and out and back into my favorite account i would post it again here ... not monkey business just trying to be more efficient --- still need help on this please do not ignore me

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

they say that you are the expert please let me know your thoughts as .... i do have 2 accounts... but i rarely use the other one so i thought that instead of signing in and out and back into my favorite account i would post it again here ... not monkey business just trying to be more efficient --- still need help on this please do not ignore me

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@dtitr wrote:

not monkey business just trying to be more efficient --- still need help on this please do not ignore me

Sorry, the "monkey business" comment was just a bad joke. There are several sets with these impressed numbers on WorthPoint. One seller positively attributes the mark to a mid-20th century German maker, which seems likely enough on the face of it - but I'm not convinced that their specific attribution is correct, and I don't want to mislead.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@dtitr wrote:

they say that you are the expert please let me know your thoughts 

Someone was being kind in  calling me an "expert" on any subject.  😃  The real experts on this, though, are md and janet  who answered you on your other thread. 

My opinion on these is the same as theirs, though:  They are not Meissen.  Neither the mark nor the quality look like Meissen, to my eye. 

I doubt you'll ever find who made them, and if you did it would be unlikely to add value.  I say, just enjoy them or sell them on their own merits.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply