cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What the heck is it??

Anybody have a clue what the heck this is and/or what it is used for? No markings, other than the measuring increments anywhere on it. thing.jpg

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

What the heck is it??

Hi - I am absolutely certain it is a doomohicky.  Problem solved....😁

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

What the heck is it??

@redtwincds wrote:

I am voting a piece of a scale or balance too.  I don't know why there would be a hook on the end for a bore gauge, and the tapering appears too gradual for a bore gauge.  I am totally guessing though since the only bore gauge I ever saw was for a gun.  I thought the tapering on this could be a design element or a result of camera angle. The numbering increasing toward the top makes sense if this is the moving part and the complete scale also had a needle (the missing part) that was stationary since the heavier the weight that hangs from the bottom the farther down it would go relative to the needle.  

This would be one area where a large-scale hole gauge like this differs from a bore gauge for a gun.

The tapering is functional; it increases the distance between the markings on the sides, which makes it easier to get an accurate reading of the diameter of the hole. The more gradual the taper, the larger the distance between the "millimeter" markings on the sides.

Assuming the markings down the middle are in mm, it would even be possible to get an estimate of sizes that are fractions of a mm, because the markings on the tapered side are farther apart. It would be quite easy for anyone to estimate the diameter to half or a quarter of a mm, and with practice, an experienced workman could probably estimate the diameter to within an eighth or tenth of a mm.

There's no indication that any parts are missing on this gadget, and the loop at the bottom is probably for hanging the gauge up on a pegboard when it isn't being used.

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

What the heck is it??

This one is a scale. You hang a tare (A small dish)  from that hook with whatever you want to weigh in it.

______
I am a volunteer here to try and help others, so be nice and remember - My advice might well be worth what you're paying for it.
Message 18 of 23
latest reply

What the heck is it??

@dbfolks166mt, since the discussion is still ongoing, I did some more research about this.

The correct name is a Taper Gauge, and it is used for measuring the internal diameter of a hole, usually a circular hole.

Here is a modern example. This was the largest size I found generally available (on a quick search). This one measures up to 1 3/16", with each line marking 1/64". This is much simpler and easier to use than a vernier gauge, and you can measure very accurately, without any moving parts to get out of alignment.

image.png

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

What the heck is it??

reminds me of a scale, but since there is no photo of the back, hard to tell. I'm thinking maybe there is a spring on back or missing and a bar / gauge missing that would line up with the proper weight #

Take your time researching.

Message 20 of 23
latest reply

What the heck is it??

@downunder-61 wrote:

@lacemaker3 wrote:

@evry1nositswindy,

FYI, that's a scale. It's used to weigh things, you hang the device up by the loop at the top, and then hang the item you want to weight on the hook at the bottom. It's calibrated in grams, and the max capacity is 1 kg, (kilogram).

I thought that as well, but there is no little metal slider peice that would point to the weight (unless it is missing)

As to the bore guage, while it sounds plausable, why the hook on the bottom?

The hook is to hang it up after use ... 

various-tools-hanging-pegboard-29859025.jpg

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

What the heck is it??

@dbfolks166mt,

I found an image of a larger metric taper gauge. Still not as large as yours, but this is clearly what you've got.

image.png

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

What the heck is it??

The hook at the bottom might be for a weight, in case you could not be in the immediate vicinity of the bore hole.  The bore hole might not be empty.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 23 of 23
latest reply