cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is it?

The only marking is sterling.  About 6 inches long.  The cross looking part is 1 3/4 inch.   The cross looking part appears to be a mini hammer head that is about 2 tenths of square.  The opposite end of the "cross looking part" is a tiny nail/tack puller.  The rounded end has a notch that appears to be a type of cutter, possibly for fine wire or thread (I've had people call that a bottle opener but it's not big enough) the opening is 1 tenth of inch wide.  The rounded end is not really sharp, if it was pointed I'd think letter opener.  Any info will be helpful.  My guess is either some small upholstery tool or jewelry?   ThanksWhat is it.JPGWhat is it-001.JPGWhat is it-002.JPGWhat is it-003.JPGWhat is it-004.JPGWhat is it-005.JPGWhat is it-006.JPGWhat is it-007.JPGWhat is it-008.JPG

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER
10 REPLIES 10

What is it?

I think it's the sort of novelty gift people buy for men when they have no idea what else to buy.  It's then supposed to sit on a desk or credenza, looking cool.  It is a "multi-tool" with the tooth from some fierce animal.  I don't know if the tooth is real or fake, and I don't know the animal.

-

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

What is it?

There is a mark on it but I can't read it well enough...BTFRED?  

Rita

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

What is it?

The mark is Sterling

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

What is it?

That was something I thought about too.   Very possible it is correct

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

What is it?

Oh of course!  

Rita

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

What is it?

Might be a smoking pipe reaming tool.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

What is it?

You have a cigar box opener, and a very nice example at that!

LALJA

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

What is it?

Thanks all, never would have figured it out.  Even after seeing the Worthpoint page I had doubts.  Then looked up the history and it started to make sense.   https://www.holts.com/clubhouse/cigar-culture/cigar-box-opener-history

Message 11 of 11
latest reply