cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vintage Woven Basket Questions

I have 5 vintage baskets that I'd like to list, but not sure how to identify them. I've looked at tons of baskets online to the point of confusion! Not sure if they're authentic or touristy types...Anyway, any insight would be appreciated. Consider them 1-5, left to right. THANKS 🙂

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Maybe @taupou could help.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

They were all made for sale.    The first one could have been made in several different countries, but I would suspect China, based on the form, and the braided handle.

The nesting baskets are from Mexico, made from the sotol plant.

The lidded basket with green and red is a split bamboo basket, from China.

The next one with the flat lid is either from Vietnam, or Indonesia, depending on the start on the bottom, which isn't shown.  If it is a round "hole," it is Indonesia.  Based on the swirling pattern of the stitching on the lid, however, I would say it is more likely from Vietnam.

The last one is a Mexican basket, made from palm fiber.

I wouldn't recommend trying to "research" baskets on the web, since so many are misidentified. The best reference I'd recommend is the book "Art of the Basket, Traditional Basketry from Around the World" by Bryan Sentance.    It will more than pay for itself, both monetarily through knowing what you are buying, and in the time, confusion, and frustration you will save in trying to find the right answers on the internet.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Thank you for your book recommendation. I just added the book to my library.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply