cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to identify this Medal

IMG_8331.jpeg

In identifying the medal/medallion were hoping to identify better the subject—era,  location, etc. We're thinking 1850s from the back of the painting and clothing.

IMG_8332.jpeg

Any help appreciated!

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I suggest you find a way to sharpen and magnify the medal itself so that as much detail as possible is visible. There are photo enhancers that can do this.   

Also, look at the back carefully to see if there is any writing that may have faded.  The artist's signature may be under the frame so taking it out of the frame would be my other suggestion.

Rita

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

While you're searching, don't leave out the possibility of the medal being European. It looks like an English Order of Bath or Prussian Medal of Merit, if my memory serves. NOT that this is either of those, but don't forget about the (some now defunct) European royal and military medals of distinguished service. 

Do you have any idea where the painting is supposed to be from? Even if the subject is American and it was painted in this country, the sitter may have served abroad or emigrated later in his life.  

Best of luck. 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Thank you my mother said that she was told it was quite early American." That was it. 

I have searched online for neck ribbon medals of a few countries including England/Great Britain, France, Belgian, Prussia, German. A solid neck ribbon like that and below is a rare to find. And just a neck ribbon in general that is not to elaborate. There is some similarities  to a Great Britain combo of medals but too large. 

I'm going to pass the spice some online dealers to see if they have an idea.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I suggest you find a way to sharpen and magnify the medal itself so that as much detail as possible is visible. There are photo enhancers that can do this.   

Also, look at the back carefully to see if there is any writing that may have faded.  The artist's signature may be under the frame so taking it out of the frame would be my other suggestion.

Rita

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

100.jpg

he has nothing on his neck.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

He has a net cloth on his neck that's tied in a bow

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

There are some civil merit badges too. Have you looking tried medals awarded by Austria, Spain, and Portugal. Sometimes medals were also given to dignitaries. All the best.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I will check out those countries. I've had a really difficult time because there are SO many medals given out…!

Message 8 of 8
latest reply