cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to identify Sunday Comics characters in an art print - also artist intials JZS?

Picked up a vintage print recently and can't identify all the comics characters or the artist. Any help would be appreciated. The Peanuts characters are a given, as are Dennis and Ruff, Billy from Family Circus and Nancy / Sluggo. I need help with those that have a red arrow underneath. The artist initial look like JZS but could be something else. The last photo shows the paper it's printed on when held to the light - some kind of fiber weave? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Trying to identify Sunday Comics characters in an art print - also artist intials JZS?

The fellow leaning with on ehand on Snoopy's doghouse looks like one of Tom Ryan's "Tumbleweeds" characters.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Third in from left with the hat, mustache and bear might be a Teddy Roosevelt reference.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

The kid in the striped shirt 2nd to the right from the doghouse is Dondi

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Thank you! I should have recognized that perpetually 5 year-old orphan child
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

The signature on her web site is a match.
Janet
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

OP should send her an email.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Jennifer Zyren Smith has a Twitter account, too:

https://twitter.com/jenniferzyren?lang=en

Too bad OP seems to have done a post-and-poof, since the very first reply (Rita's) nailed it.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

But we can still talk about it for days stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye!

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Hopefully they did follow up on Rita's post & just didn't bother to come back...

Interesting Charles Schultz letter in the twitter feed...he's one of those people who I always found interesting in interviews (including one by Whoopi Goldberg  during her short-lived  show decades ago)... but just find Peanuts "Meh!" at best (and I know I'm definitely in the minority there)

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@yankeebob1951 wrote:

Hopefully they did follow up on Rita's post & just didn't bother to come back...

Interesting Charles Schultz letter in the twitter feed...he's one of those people who I always found interesting in interviews (including one by Whoopi Goldberg  during her short-lived  show decades ago)... but just find Peanuts "Meh!" at best (and I know I'm definitely in the minority there)

OP has not been off-line since posting this thread.  I guess I should say not signed in since.  Maybe s/he checked the thread without being signed in.

I rather liked Peanuts in its very early days, when it had some edge and bite, when Charley Brown had a bit of complexity to him.  Then it just got blandly cute, presumably because the Hallmark Snoopy Christmas Ornaments (and the squillion other "collectibles") sold a lot better that way. 

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

I rather liked Peanuts in its very early days, when it had some edge and bite, when Charley Brown had a bit of complexity to him.  Then it just got blandly cute, presumably because the Hallmark Snoopy Christmas Ornaments (and the squillion other "collectibles") sold a lot better that way. 

I'll have to hunt up some of the early stuff sometime...I think I've only seen the "blandly cute" years, haha!

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Here's one

http://assets.amuniversal.com/8b60da10f8a10130151a001dd8b71c47http://assets.amuniversal.com/8b60da10f8a10130151a001dd8b71c47

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Not sure if this reply goes out to all of you but  I want to thank  you all for your replies and help. I will certainly follow up on that link to the possible artist.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply