cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The enigma of Louis Henry Dupont Artist Engraver

Having problems identifying the artist of a signed engraving I just bought.  It obviously falls into the category of Henry Dupont, which its signed.  It's a common theme of his to create engravings of houses.  But there is also a Louis Henry Dupont that seemed according to some to be known as Louis Dupont.  Some information out there is probably false, so hoping someone has some reference books or just knows online sources better.

Here is something I found online: 

"Antique Original Signed Etching by engraver Louis Henry Dupont 1840-1910. Signed by artist from Vezelay, France.  Henry Dupont (Parigi, 1840 - 1910) - Vazelay
Etching Louis-Henry Dupont was a prolific French painter and engraver of the 19th century; he studied art in Paris with the great painter Jean-Léon Gérime. He was a full member of the Salon des Artistes Francais, where he exhibited his works every year."

The prolific part is helpful as the works of "Louis Dupont" seem different than the Henry Dupont that did these outdoor house scenes.   Don't worry about "Henri Dupont" he  is a later artist. 

Are there two artists in the 19th Century,one Henry Dupont and the other Louis Henry Dupont?  If there are, I should be able to get birthdates.  

It takes me a while to post pictures and since mine isn't different than the common house pictures of Henry Dupont I won't have one up for a while.  

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Since yours is signed, have you compared the signatures ?  Does the signature on yours match the signatures on those you see online by Louis Henry? The online examples I see attribute the "Henry Dupont" signed etchings/aquatints to Louis Henry.  Invaluable lists 4 "Louis Duponts" in their directory, none of whom seem like the engraver, and also lists one "Henry Dupont" which does. 

https://www.invaluable.com/artist/dupont-henry-zsp34p3l5t/

Rita

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I found three painters named Louis Dupont -- working in the 18th, 19th, and 20th Centuries.   Each had a distinctive style and signature.   I didn't look for an engraver by that name, or someone by that name who was both a painter and an engraver.   Anyhow, I'd start by comparing the styles and signatures of the three painters.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I understand your perplexity, as there seems to be a horrible amount of internet confusion and conflicting information involving at least two different artists. It may take a while to figure out.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

I understand your perplexity, as there seems to be a horrible amount of internet confusion and conflicting information involving at least two different artists. It may take a while to figure out.

True enough, and without seeing the work itself, the signature, et cetera, I surely won't try to help with the sorting.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I understand wanting to see it.  It's crazy here with the smoke from the house fires.  Thank God I'm not in an area that is in other danger from them.  The painting is exactly like the house ones that are signed Henry Dupont and it's signed Henry Dupont.   Will get a picture on soon. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Here are some pictures. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

One nice feature of the painting is that it's a scene in early evening and you can see the stars in this photo a little better.  

Message 8 of 8
latest reply