cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about selling 1970s blueprints to a celebrity's house

I bought a group of maps and poster-type things at an estate sale and in those were the blueprints to a celebrity's house.  These are from the 1970s and the celebrity has not lived in the house for several years but it is still known as his house.

I know there are copyright laws and such but the architect is long deceased and the architect firm is long out of business.  I don't know where the person whose estate sale this was, would have gotten them other than I know he lived for a while in the city where the house is located.  The celebrity is still living but I don't know if he has ever sold any of his "stuff" or not.

To my way of thinking, these would only be a collectible associated with the celebrity's name but I'm not sure about selling them.    I can't imagine anyone using them to actually build a house.   Any comments?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

@pickapaper 

Copyright protection does not end when the copyright holder dies -- here is the official definition from the U. S. Copyright Office:

"The length of copyright protection depends on when a work was created. Under the current law, works created on or after January 1, 1978, have a copyright term of life of the author plus seventy years after the author’s death. If the work is a joint work, the term lasts for seventy years after the last surviving author’s death. For works made for hire and anonymous or pseudonymous works, copyright protection is 95 years from publication or 120 years from creation, whichever is shorter. "

Since blueprints are not considered to be "mass-produced" documents, they may also be subject to other protections, as well.

If the house actually still exists, selling blueprints of that house may be considered a violation of privacy of the current owner, as well as possibly endangering the safety of the current owner's family.

I would not offer these blueprints for sale.  Alternatively, I would attempt to contact the estate of the former actor to see if they would be interested in owning the blueprints.  They may offer to purchase them from you.  If they choose not to obtain the blueprints, you may be faced with owning items that will not be salable yet for several decades.

The bottom line -- consult with a good copyright lawyer.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

That's kind of what I thought about the copyrights, and actually, I thought of the privacy thing too.   I don't have a lot of money tied up in them so it's okay if I can't/don't sell them.   

Good idea about contacting the people connected with the house to see if they might want them.  I will see what I can do about that. 

Message 3 of 3
latest reply