cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLEASE HELP IDENTIFYING STICKLEY BROTHERS BUFFET ANTIQUE FURNITURE WITH MODEL # OR VALUE

I can't find my piece of furniture anywhere. It is by stickley brothers and it is a buffet table which I have been able to find but not with twisting legs. I need to know what is the value and model for this particular piece. It has unique spiral legs. Please see pics. Can anyone assist me with this type of knowledge? Greatly appreciated.

FULL FRONT VIEW BUFFET

image.jpg

BACKSIDE OF BUFFET WITH BRAND LABEL

image.jpg

CLOSE UP OF TWISTED LEG FEATURE WHICH IS UNIQUE AND CAN'T BE FOUND ON ANY COMPARABLE FURNITURE ITEMS BY STICKLEY BROTHERS

image.jpg

Stay fabulous!
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

PLEASE HELP IDENTIFYING STICKLEY BROTHERS BUFFET ANTIQUE FURNITURE WITH MODEL # OR VALUE

This is a transitional line  that came later and is not as sought after as their more purely mission forms.  You are probably not finding it due to lack of popularity.  It still has value but more in line with other furniture from the 30s rather than truly mission furniture from the teens and 20s.

Here is a very similar one that was passed at auction due to lack of interest.  It had a starting bid of $600.00 but received no bids.

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/1203435_stickley-brothers-arts-and-crafts-oak-sideboard

Be sure to look your gift horse in the mouth when receiving help.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Here is another similar but not exact comparable.  I don't subscribe to Worthpoint but maybe someone else does or you can subscribe to get value.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-stickley-bros-quaint-furniture-co-oak

Be sure to look your gift horse in the mouth when receiving help.
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

The spiral carving is called  "Barley Twist."

Quidvis recte factum quamvis humile praeclarum
Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble.

Don

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Actually no it is not transitional and later. This design was made smack dab in the middle of the Arts and Crafts movement. Stickley Brothers in Michigan just did a little more experimentation than the other makers at that time. It was made I believe in 1909 or 1910. I have the complete original set along with your sideboard, the china cab, and oval leafed dining table, and five side chairs with one armchair. I bought it from the original family who purchased it in northern Jersey New York City suburbs from a Stickley store around 1910. I wouldn't be surprised if I had the only complete set of this design. It's so cool I got rid of my Gustav Stickley miss-matched set. When I first found this a few years ago I did some research in the Stickley Brother's archives and they have a specific name for this line of furniture that slips my mind right now. It was called "Quaint something", maybe Quaint Gothic or something like that.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

It's called Quaint. It's not at all on par with the very popular Mission furniture as mentioned. So is the whole set refinished?  This may lower the value in the marketplace.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

"QUAINT" was what Albert Stickley of the Stickley Bros firm in Grand Rapids called their arts&crafts furniture, as L &JG called theirs "Handcraft" and Gustav called his "Craftsman". The particular line is Quaint Tudor I remembered. And no it is not refinished. My complete set is original and mint. Was in the same family since new. I even have the original table top protecting cover.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

"QUAINT" was what Albert Stickley of the Stickley Bros firm in Grand Rapids called their arts&crafts furniture, as L &JG called theirs "Handcraft" and Gustav called his "Craftsman". The particular line is Quaint Tudor I remembered. And no it is not refinished. My complete set is original and mint. Was in the same family since new. I even have the original table top protecting cover.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Varnish darkens over time and some companies would even use a toned/tinted vaarnish as well, esp when they are trying to evoke an earlier time of centuries past. (Tudor).  If that is the original finish, I'm surprised it is so light. Have you had a pro in to confirm that it is the original finish? There would be telltale signs that a pro would spot.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 10 of 10
latest reply