cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original Elsie the Cow ad dept ART late 50's/early 60's

Can't find MY Elsie the Cow cheerleader illustration (tempera paints)Aprox 22" x 32". I found one 1959 ad campaign with her in cheerleader outfit but NO boots! I did find alot with the flower necklace though.

The guy that invented her http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/David-Reid-creator-of-Elsie-the-Cow-2545594.php

lived in San Rafael about 20 miles from SonomaBarn headquarters, so for an original illustration to be found here is not out of the question.

Any Elsie the Cow fans here?

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Also, what's the time frame on the boots? Are those Go-Go boots? Has she been to the gym or what? This is painted on old Crescent cold press board.

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

It could just be that her hooves would look udderly ridiculous with the rest of the outfit.  And no, they're not go-go boots ... but it does look like she was hitting the treadmill.

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

I think you should milk this one for all it's worth.

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

Well, now that I look at that hat and the rest of her outfit, I'm wondering ... was Elsie ever a Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader?
Message 5 of 26
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think she misunderstood when the boss suggested she bring her calves to the office party.

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

Well, he didn't threaten he'd "have her hide" if she didn't.
Message 7 of 26
latest reply

Anthropomorphizing cows, it turns out, is a bit creepy.

Elsie has a Facebook page so I sent them a pic to see what they think.

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

Okay, I'll stop with the puns. But I agree that this image, as well as the hundreds I saw when looking for this one, are a bit creepy.

Some are fun and heartwarming ... others not so much. Good luck with the FB line of research.
Message 9 of 26
latest reply

i didn't mean you, i meant all the ad campaign stuff on this one where they created a human type home for them and it seems that Elsie & Elmer got married not for love but to sell milk products... and glue. Not at all trying to pan the puns!

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

well I udderly can't believe she has such a flat stomach

nufces09 - Mary
Message 11 of 26
latest reply

Oh ... I didn't think you did mean me. I just couldn't think of any more puns. 🙂

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

I do not know what fashion statement the artist is trying to make by portraying Elsie dressed in a cheerleader's outfit.

I do know it gives a whole new meaning to the phrase dressed beef.

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

OK.  My opinion

This was not produced by a commerical artist.  It was done by a kid or a student who was a good copyist but had not much training / experience otherwise.  Elsie's head is a copy, and that's why it is so well done.  The rest was done by the kid / student.  No one with training would have done the legs like that, or the right (left as you look at it) arm.  Ditto the pompom in the same hand / hoof, and the way the fringes are set on the two arms. 

I see two very different people at work here:  The pro who did the head and the amateur who did all the rest.

If I'm wrong, it will be only the third time today.

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

Well, the bad news is that I have to disqualify your comment because it did not include a pun.

The badder news is that I feel that it is all by the same hand. This would have been produced in an ad dept where they used something akin to what is called a "bible" where all of the basic imagery was set forth in a booklet so whatever ad dept artist was working a project would be able to follow the company brand/logo. This was no teenager at work but produced in an ad dept. There are specific printing notations on it. Teenage copyists would not even know what that is. 

If an innovative design was used in an ad, it would go in the bible to be reused if needed as in an ad campaign. We are talking fake cows made to appear human so.... I do like the Dallas Cowboys twist. Rest assured though, one good cow pun will save you!

Message 15 of 26
latest reply