cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old 3 Legged Claw Foot Table

Anyone know how old this table is. I am cleaning out the attic and would like to have that information for any future owner. I can't imagine why anyone made a three legged tables. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks.

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

I don't see a photo if you meant to post one.  

Rita

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

"I can't imagine why anyone made a three legged tables."

Three legged tables don't wobble.

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

Old three legged or tripod tables will wobble horribly if the glue joints/dovetails into the center post are loose. I've seen them actually fall over.

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

If you could provide some nice clear photos of where the three legs are inserted into the post it would be helpful. Sometimes, with period examples, there is a steel 3 pronged strap held in place with screws (underneath each leg) that helps to hold the three legs tight to the post as well.

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

Weird to have to beg for photos, isn't it?  

Caller:  "Help me!  I'm trapped!" 

911  Dispatcher:  "Tell me your location."

Caller:  "Nope!"

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

It is a bit nostalgic to go back in time to just using typed text to transmit thoughts/ideas. At least we don't have to snail mail responses/questions/...and photos( when people use that option).

Wait a minute! That's how we could prevent voter fraud!

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

The nice young man from Western Union just delivered this. I think it's from the OP and it says:

This table belonged to my Grandma. All I know is that it's rare, valuable and AT LEAST 100 yrs old (stop)

DSCN0325.JPG

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

Now that's what I'm talkin' about!

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

@sonomabarn67wrote:

Old three legged or tripod tables will wobble horribly if the glue joints/dovetails into the center post are loose. I've seen them actually fall over.

Right. But when they are made, brand new, a 3-legged table won't wobble. Like a three legged stool. A brand new, with tight glue and dovetails, 4 legged table will wobble if just one leg is a little bit shorter. Also, a 3-legged table with tight joints But with warped boards, still won't wobble, while the same 4 legged table, with warped boards is likely to thow off the legs and wobble.

I thought I was answering the  question "why would you make a 3 leg table", not "how stable is a 3-leg table?"

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

"Old 3 Legged Claw Foot Table" is the title of the thread. I garnered a lot of information from that title., mostly that it was an old table.

"Right. But when they are made, brand new, a 3-legged table won't wobble."

Who said anything about NEW 3 leg tables? OP didn't, I didn't, I think you brought up new furniture. Where did you get the idea that we were discussing NEW 3 leg tables? I can't find it. It's a given that a brand new 3 legged table won't wobble due to new construction and being in perfect condition. But seeing that we are on  a collectibles board where almost everything discussed is used and the OP is asking about a used, old table, well...

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

Palmtree, can we see the bottom of the seat where the 3 legs fit in to the seat? hahaha

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

Thank you so much for not being insulting like some people on these discussions can't resist being. I did attempt to post photos. Since Apple basically forced me to "upgraded" my Mac, nothing works as it should anymore. I will try again if I20180224_210808.jpg20180224_210916.jpg can even find the photos again.

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

Maybe I should call this a three footed table. My photos uploader seems to be working better today. Does this help?20180227_180637.jpg

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

Sorry I tried to answer your question. I'll bud out now and let the experts get on with it.

Message 15 of 31
latest reply