cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help identifying the people in this vintage photo postcard.

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Is there any particular reason that you think that the people in the photo are noteworthy?

Just the postcard paper alone is meaningless, I used to print photos on postcards for fun or family. The name Edison could, as others have suggested, just be a note about where it was...i'm curious as to why you think these people may be known to others; do they look like anyone to you? Was the photo source any indication?

ON VACATION
GONE FISHING
BACK AT 6

View Best Answer in original post

Message 39 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

The only person who looks like "someone" to me is the guy on the right hunched over. I thought "Nikita Khrushchev". But I doubt it's really him. I don't think identifying any of them will be easy.

Is there any writing on the back of the card?
Message 2 of 44
latest reply

Edison..in pencil..is on back. But none look like Thomas Edison to me. I thought the guy in front was Gorbachev...but compared to other pics not so sure. Thanks! 

Message 3 of 44
latest reply

Show a photo of the back ... that can really help sometimes.
Message 4 of 44
latest reply

@prov3vs56 wrote:

Edison..in pencil..is on back. But none look like Thomas Edison to me. I thought the guy in front was Gorbachev...but compared to other pics not so sure. Thanks! 

Definitely not Gorbachev (the photo is too early, for one thing). I can see the resemblance to Khrushchev, but it isn't him either. (I think the woman looks rather like the actress Judith Anderson - Mrs Danvers from Hitchcock's Rebecca - but it's unlikely to be her).

Those look like chemical bottles on the table, and there's a large lab flask, so perhaps it is a group of scientists?

Message 5 of 44
latest reply

Definitely NOT Mikhail Gorbachev, who was born in 1931 and whose features, even now, are not those of that fellow.

Message 6 of 44
latest reply

Those look like big bottles of booze to me, given the glasses all around! Maybe? But I have no idea who the people are.

ON VACATION
GONE FISHING
BACK AT 6
Message 7 of 44
latest reply

@new-man7 wrote:

Those look like big bottles of booze to me, given the glasses all around! Maybe?

Could be... it was just that the shape reminded me more of the sort of thing you'd find in a chemistry lab, especially alongside the flask-like object (or maybe that's just a carafe). But unless there's some more information on the back we're pretty much reduced to guessing.

Message 8 of 44
latest reply

Nothing else on the back...has the faint preprinted lines for address and the penciled 'Edison' as stated earlier.
Message 9 of 44
latest reply

I you will show the back, it may well help people date it.  Up to you.

Message 10 of 44
latest reply

Message 11 of 44
latest reply

Is it entirely out of the question that the man on the left might actually be Thomas Edison? Is there anything in the clothing, etc. that would rule out a c. 1930 date (he died in 1931)?

Message 12 of 44
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

Is it entirely out of the question that the man on the left might actually be Thomas Edison?

Well, it looks nothing like him.  He still had a full head of hair, big bushy eyebrows, a distinctive nose and rather "craggy" features, despite his weight, even as a very old man. 

Message 13 of 44
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

@argon38 wrote:

Is it entirely out of the question that the man on the left might actually be Thomas Edison?

Well, it looks nothing like him.  He still had a full head of hair, big bushy eyebrows, a distinctive nose and rather "craggy" features, despite his weight, even as a very old man. 

It's difficult for me to make out the features of the man on the left (as opposed to the Khrushchev lookalike on the right). He does look quite stocky. Are there any good photos of Edison in profile?

Message 14 of 44
latest reply

Yes.  Getty Archives.

Screenshot from 2018-01-15 19_27_57.jpeg

Message 15 of 44
latest reply