cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice on authenticity of sports memorabilia I currently have for sale

I have been a fan of mostly all sports and a collector for most of my life. I have recently had a renewed spark of interest in collecting sports memorabilia (mostly cards) and with a little luck would like to start a business if at all possible. I recently made a large investment in baseball, basketball and football cards of which there were several autographed items. I was assured all autographs came with a certificate of authenticity, which they did, although I wasn't familiar with the companies: ASGA All Star Grading & Authentication, CAS, Authenticated Ink, PSASCERT (Pinpoint Signature Authentication Services). I happily took a few pictures and started posting the cards here on Ebay with hopes of making a profit in order to repeat the cycle. I knew the rule of thumb is to stick to the big 3; PSA, Beckett and SGC but I thought maybe it had expanded since I last was involved in the memorabilia world. You see, it has been roughly 15-20 years since I was really involved in collecting. I was expecting the autographed cards would sale with relative ease but I noticed they were not getting any views and worse, no buyers. Now I am rethinking this investment I had made. I have taken down most of the autographs from Ebay except for a couple just to see if I'd have any takers. I am afraid I have made a huge mistake. Can anyone provide some insight on these other authentication companies and tell me if they are legit? I have done some research and it has been 50/50 on the legitmacy of  their autographs...which isn't that great! Thank you for your time and assistance.

Sincerely,

Joe

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

I've always been under the impression that collectables such as you are discussing can sit for a long time before they sell ... they just have to find the right buyer.  That's my novice opinion.

But, you might get some more experienced and/or expert opinions by posting your question on the Sporting Goods board:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Sporting-Goods/bd-p/295

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Thank you for the information...that is what I will do. I am new here on the forum so appreciate your time. Thanks again.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

You can also try ther Sports Cards & Memorabilia board, although it doesn't get a lot of participation  (and that might, in itself, say something about the collectible card business these days):

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Sports-Cards-Memorabilia-Fan/bd-p/283

Message 4 of 4
latest reply