cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help Identifying This Antique Hunting Horn

yyDClAu.jpg1mRtp6e.jpgVkZzHJB.jpg2tOIkx5.jpg45lxmp7.jpg6NJh0f3.jpg

I have this old hunting horn that I know nothing about. It's 10 inches in length and devoid of any makers markings to reference. The person I purchased this off said it was from Malaysia but I'm not sure it is. They also didn't think it was terribly valuable, but my amateur eyes thinks it shows a degree of craftsmanship and age.

Any information appreciated.

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

This isn't a drinking horn as the wide end is flanged like a brass horn and the other end is open, and looks like it's missing the mouthpiece.

It looks like a fox hunting horn. missing the mouthpiece (reed?) That may have had a hallmark. Is it sterling? there appears to be a mark on each link of the chain. If it's sterling, that's a lot of chain and I imagine a collector could find a mouthpiece to marry to it.

I wouldn't expect this to be Malaysian, I wonder why the seller thought so? Perhaps the horn is from a Malaysian water buffalo?  Besides the chain, the detail is quite minimal -maybe it was an export item?

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

This isn't a drinking horn as the wide end is flanged like a brass horn and the other end is open, and looks like it's missing the mouthpiece.

It looks like a fox hunting horn. missing the mouthpiece (reed?) That may have had a hallmark. Is it sterling? there appears to be a mark on each link of the chain. If it's sterling, that's a lot of chain and I imagine a collector could find a mouthpiece to marry to it.

I wouldn't expect this to be Malaysian, I wonder why the seller thought so? Perhaps the horn is from a Malaysian water buffalo?  Besides the chain, the detail is quite minimal -maybe it was an export item?

Message 2 of 2
latest reply