cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this rooster teapot Chinese and what is the age?

The glaze is  a dark aubergine (purple) over a red clay. There is considerable degradation to the glaze on the feet as if it may have set in a caustic environment. Measures 9" x 5".

roost1.jpgroost2.jpgroost3.jpgroost4.jpg

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

IT looks like a japan made jar.

I've never seen anything like it at China ancient market

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Is there a name for a Japanese teapot like this?

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

I like the color of that glaze. 

I've seen rooster teapots from China and from Japan, but I've never seen one with a handle like that.  Nearly all the ones I've seen have bamboo / rattan handles.  I've seen a few Yixing teapots with clay handles, but they are rounded and shaped rather than the sort of "slab" yours is. 

Not that that helps you.  Interesting teapot, though, whatever its origin and age.

-

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Thank you. Yes, the handle gives it a "copied from bronze" archaic look. The age /wear on the base and feet makes me think this has some age to it. The purple glaze has very little cracaluer in it.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Is there much calcium salt build up inside the pot?

What type of corrosive environment would remove the glaze?  I am not a potter but I thought after a piece was fired with glaze the the metals from the glaze combines with the pot material to give a new substance.  The glaze becomes a part of the piece and is not just a layer on top which you can strip off unless you want to physically remove part of the piece with abrasion, like sandpaper

Also if it was sitting in a corrosive environment would you expect to see removal on all sides as is splashes up.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Simple, there is no glaze on the feet, it is actually a white/buff slip with the main body of the pot having the glaze (sort of like on Ming animals that gives them that white paw look). I've only had this for two days and just noticed that. The damage is only on the slip and the body of the pot in/around the feet. If you enlarge the close up of the feet you should see it. I also just noticed the lid is a replacement.

So, it could be a caustic that caused this. I remember seeing the Getty fake kouros that had been bathed in acid and left to sit in that solution.

There are no salts.

I'll look to get a better close up.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

My aunt gave it to me 10 years ago. Its still with me. 

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Well solved then. Do you have a photo?

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

I think I solved the issue with the feet/glaze. Looking at the close up of the beak; see the pitting that is covered with glaze? If it weren't covered with glaze, it would look open pitted like the feet.

I still think it to be Chinese but would love to see a positive ID as to origin/age that disproves that.

One more thing. I was able to get a camera inside and the holes in the throat of the bird are clogged with ? The glaze has the same pitting as the exterior.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Inside the teapot showing the clogged spout holes.

CU.jpg

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

So, nobody was impressed with being able to see inside this teapot? I use it on old guitars that I repair as it can show exactly where the internal braces have given way so they can be repaired accurately. Good for seeing inside old teapots as well.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply