cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this oil? Watercolour? on paper?

Hi there...was wondering if someone could tell me if this is oil or watercolor on paper? If, at all? To me, it looks to be done very well..vibrant colors, almost like a photo.  Could be a print but I do not see dots. I no very little about art and really don't no what words to use in asking for help. Its behind glass so not sure what it is. No artist signature that I could see. Thank you for any help provided. 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

It looks  like a painting on silk.  The very defined and vibrant image is typical of silk painting. 

I'm unclear on what sort of inks / dyes are used in modern silk painting, though, and this does look compartively recent, to my eye. 

The figue in the sky, on the back of the crane, is Shou, one of The Three Stars, the Sanxing deities.  He is the god of Longevity.  Whether the two seated figures on the left are the other two Stars, Fu and Lu, I'm not sure. 

Anyhow, that gives you something to go on and to research until / unless someone comes along with a positive identification.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

It looks  like a painting on silk.  The very defined and vibrant image is typical of silk painting. 

I'm unclear on what sort of inks / dyes are used in modern silk painting, though, and this does look compartively recent, to my eye. 

The figue in the sky, on the back of the crane, is Shou, one of The Three Stars, the Sanxing deities.  He is the god of Longevity.  Whether the two seated figures on the left are the other two Stars, Fu and Lu, I'm not sure. 

Anyhow, that gives you something to go on and to research until / unless someone comes along with a positive identification.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Thank you maxine ! Silk never entered my mind on this nor did I know about the man on the bird. Much appreciated !
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

It may say what it is on that small sticker, it is Chinese, but lots of folks speak and read Chinese, can you post a clearer pic of the sticker? And any other markings.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply