cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Info on bowl mark? Made in China

Was wondering if anyone has seen a mark/stamp like this on porcelain? Thank you for any input. Much appreciated !chinese bowl 001.jpgchinese bowl 002.jpg

Message 1 of 56
latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

Longevity Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk:

https://www.google.com/search?q=longevity+brand+sweetened+condensed+milk&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&v...

Maybe the bowl was some sort of premium / giveaway / promotional item with the purchase of the milk.

"Display Only" may indicate this was made after the U.S. requirfed warnings on porcelain items with glazes that make them unsafe for use with food.

chinese bowl 001.jpg

Message 2 of 56
latest reply

Betting it was a promotional item used by the retailers (to be used on a large display by a store selling this product) which would make it much more unusual than a promotional item given away with a consumer purchase. My opinion.
Message 3 of 56
latest reply

That could be, too. 

Being told the size would help, but I've given up asking.  I'm thinking smaller would  more likely to be a give-away;  larger, more likely a counter display.

Either way, it's for advertising and promotion, not for tableware, with that warning and no older than the 1980s.

Message 4 of 56
latest reply

Further clarification - giving away one of these with the purchase of a single can of condensed milk seems unlikely to me, for economic reasons (the bowl would cost more to make than the can of milk), but the supplier could afford to give one away to a retailer with the purchase of multiple cases of this milk. If my conjecture is correct or close to correct it would also cast some doubt on the age of the item (as to whether it is "newer" or not although it's pristine condition does seem to indicate newer), a doubt initially caused by the fact that the display only mark is NOT the typical warning one sees on modern items with glazes that make an item unsuitable for food uses.
Message 5 of 56
latest reply

Well, I didn't suggest the purchase that had to be made to get one, assuming it was a consmer give-away.   I'd agree it wouldn't be: "Buy one can.  Get one bowl."

Maybe this was given to employees.  Maybe it was given out at factory tours.  Maybe it was used at trade shows.  Maybe it was given to grocery store managers to get better product placement on the shelves.

I've done my best to get OP on the path to fruther research, and that's the best I can offer. 

Message 6 of 56
latest reply

Thank you for your input. The bowl is large, 9" x 3" . 

Message 7 of 56
latest reply

@pacr_2188;

Wikipedia has more information about this brand:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longevity_Brand

Longevity Brand (Vietnamese: Sữa Ông Thọ, lit. translated as "Old man's milk") is a brand of canned condensed milk, registered by Friesland Campina and distributed by Sun Hing Foods, Inc. in the United States and Canada. It is a popular ingredient in Vietnamese iced coffee with milk (cà phê sữa đá) drinks, and in various other Vietnamese desserts. ...
Message 8 of 56
latest reply

Thank you..interesting. 

Message 9 of 56
latest reply

@lacemaker3 wrote:

@pacr_2188;

Wikipedia has more information about this brand:

... in the United States and Canada. It is a popular ingredient in Vietnamese iced coffee with milk (cà phê sữa đá) drinks, and in various other Vietnamese desserts. ...

Yes, I recognized it from seeing it on the shelves of the local grocery store.     😊

Message 10 of 56
latest reply

It doesn't really add anything to what has already been said, but there are a couple of promotional glass tumblers with the logo on WorthPoint:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/japanese-advertising-longevity-brand-242902988 

Message 11 of 56
latest reply

Message 12 of 56
latest reply

Could you upload some better photos of the inscriptions and designs around the sides of the bowl?

Message 13 of 56
latest reply

004.jpg003.jpg001.jpg

Message 14 of 56
latest reply

Thank you..I attached photos
Message 15 of 56
latest reply