cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identify Canadian Inuit Eskimo Soapstone Figure sculpture syllabic signature

Could anyone help me with this syllabic  signature?

The carving bears the authentic Canadian Igloo label

Thanks GR8findz 

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Another pic

Gr8findz

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

If you google Katilvik, the second entry gives a format to enter the symbols found on the base and submit for id.

This link seems to be sponsored by Waddington's Auctions.

Good luck!

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

This link might help as well.............about half way down the page.

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/inuktitut.htm

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Thank you . I actually tried the link before. Spent a couple of hours, The first names I got was Mattiusie, Markusi, or Mathew  with various last names .  The artisits all went by multiple names !!!!!

Last names  Manakudluk, Iyaituk, and just the name Mathew . Looked at their work. Nothing seemed a match .

Gr8findz

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

You were very close  and your inclination to check  the carving with artist you think it might be was a good decision.  It helps rule things out.

Yes, the  first  name is Mathewsie. The last name reads  a-mi-la ( which translates as Amidlak).  The  artist is Mathewsie  Amidlak of Inukjuak ( formerly  known  as  Port Harrison).  The etched stone at the base of the bird carving also helps place it in this community.  He was born in 1934, and may have died in 1997.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Thank you sooooo much! I really worked on it

Gr8findz

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

the images have been manipulated to preset something that it is not. In short ,fake.

HINC HVMILIBVS VENIA

HINC RETRIBVTO SVPERBIS

MISERICORDIAS DOMINI IN AETERNVM CANTABO AD MAJOREM DEI GLORIAM
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

I have no idea what you mean. What is fake ? the page of syllabic ?

Thank you gr8findz

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

I mean that it's pretty much self evident, the work has been tampered with, mass produced factory work.

HINC HVMILIBVS VENIA

HINC RETRIBVTO SVPERBIS

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

No, it is not self evident.  I am not a collector.  And even if it was "mass" produced as you suggest , as an original art print, signed and numbered  it still holds value , if not thousands then hundreds

Gr8findz

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

lets start with the symbols,two different devices were used to etch the underside, why would a artist etch with   two different etchings tools, maybe the first  broke, in this case if one enlarges the image, one can readily see that this has occurred, looks like a auction item mark from a auction house.

HINC HVMILIBVS VENIA

HINC RETRIBVTO SVPERBIS

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

This is an authentic item, beyond any shadow of a doubt.  No need to inquire any further.  There are any number of experts who could identify the artist from the syllabics.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@all_fakes wrote:

This is an authentic item, beyond any shadow of a doubt.  No need to inquire any further.  There are any number of experts who could identify the artist from the syllabics.

Yes, and the 6th post, from qualicum, nailed it.   (And if he dwells in a cave there, he's Canadian, to boot.)

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

This response unfortunately makes little if any sense. Please be more circumspect in your answer.

The carving has the Canada igloo (government authorized ) label of authenticity created specifically to avoid subterfuge  - you can actually date the carving by  the type of wording on that label- the carving registration number is also there-usually added when the artist brings the carving to the co-op for sale.

...the artist name in  Inuktitut syllabics  is clearly readable. The Artist may sign the carving in syllabics  or someone at a co-op shop may do it on the person's behalf. The style is easily  recognizable to that Inuit community. As is the style to this particular artist. 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply