cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need help with signature on southwest? pottery nativity scene

Is anyone able to help me with this signature on this southwest? art pottery nativity scene?

Thank youIMG_5120.JPGIMG_5125.JPGIMG_5126.JPG

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Gonzales, maybe.

Janet

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Thank you 🙂

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Looks more Italian than Southwestern, USA/

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

Looks more Italian than Southwestern, USA/

That's my feeling as well. The clothing is wrong for Southwest as is the finish on the piece. 

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

If the name is Gonzales then maybe Portuguese.

Rita

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

It's a pretty big if on the Gonzales, after looking at it enlarged.  I'm on empty.

Janet

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Wherever it was made, doesn't it depict Bethelhem at the time of the birth of Jesus, rather than depicting the place where it the piece was made?   Or am I just too literal-minded?

=

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Yes, Bethlehem but I think OP thought it was made somewhere in the US southwest, not that the southwest was represented in the piece. 

Rita

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

But I can also see a resemblance to clay sculptures of pueblo villages that are popular in the Southwest. 

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

But NA pueblos are made of adobe which has a smooth surface and this clearly shows sun-baked brick construction with mortar type joins. Here are examples of what pueblo structures look like..

https://www.google.com/search?q=southwest+usa+pueblo+houses+construction&client=firefox-b-1-d&source... 

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

I've been collecting NA art and jewelry for more than 50 years. So I'm quite aware of what pueblo buildings look like. I have no idea if the OP does. My point was that if they don't, I can see how they might think the boxy shape of their piece resembles the very popular pueblo scenes made primarily for the tourist trade. But since the OP hasn't returned, we'll probably never know.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Yes, the clothing is wrong, unless the artist was trying to replicate "Bethlehem." 

The arrangement/construction of the buildings is reminiscent of the adobe construction of the Pueblo Indians. That may be significant or, again, a head fake at imaginary 1st century Judea.  

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@melda58 wrote:

Yes, Bethlehem but I think OP thought it was made somewhere in the US southwest, not that the southwest was represented in the piece. 

Rita

Oh, okay.  I thought it sounded like OP thought it was a "southwest theme" nativity.   We've all seen scores of "nativity scenes" adapted to reflect different times and cultures, with the Holy Family, Magi, and Shepherds in every race and ethnicity and in all sorts of costumes and settings, with even the animals changed to different species to suit the theme. I think OP's is just supposed to be Bethehem.

Great photo of Bethelhem, Christmas, 1890, from Wikipedia:

Bethlehem_Christmas_pilgrims_enter_town_1890.jpg

Here's a photo from 1890.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

"The Land of Faceless people, faceless sheep, and 3ft long infants..."

Message 15 of 16
latest reply