cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need a help with this Art....

I hope the images are clear, if not let me know. 

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Blurry. Also, try getting close-ups of just the writing.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Don't know if this helps, or not...

xIMG_6701.JPG

IMG_6701.JPG

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

I can make nothing of it. Are there any watermarks? Any marks or labels on the back?

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

I think the date is 1933, but I don't recognize the language.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

OP  - do you have any idea what language this could be,  based maybe on how you acquired it?  It looks to me like it could be eastern european.  

Rita

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Here are more images, nothing in the back and I also can't recognize the language and yes the date is 1933.  Thank you 

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

I think it might be Hungarian.  I read the name as Bako Laci - then Baratomnak which according to Google translate means "friend."  

Rita

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@melda58 wrote:

I think it might be Hungarian.  I read the name as Bako Laci - then Baratomnak which according to Google translate means "friend."  

Rita

That's it! Barátom is the word for friend, barát, with the possessive ending (= my friend). Barátomnak is the dative inflection of the possessive ending (=to my friend). So your reading makes absolutely perfect sense.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Also, I see that Laci is a "diminutive of the male given name László":

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Laci#Hungarian 

That makes sense too, because Hungarian names are written with the family name first, followed by the given name. Great work, Rita.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Thank you argon.   I didn't know that about Hungarian names, so thanks for that information too.  I guess the other writing is the location.  

Rita

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Thank you for your help and info, but I think after the date is Artist Signature? What do you think? 

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@powerofreading wrote:

Thank you for your help and info, but I think after the date is Artist Signature? What do you think? 

I've been playing around with some Hungarian names. For example, there's a soccer player named Zsolt Laczkó (in Hungarian: Laczkó Zsolt) - I can imagine it saying something similar to that.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Yes could be, and the first line could be the title of the work except it seems that Laci - short-for-Lazlo - is a man's name and the subject of the work is clearly a woman.    Someone who reads Hungarian would be better able to help you.  

Rita

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Thank you I will try to find someone who can read Hungarian and let you know. 

Anait 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply