cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I know I am asking for a lot of info on these 4 Trinket Boxes -Can you help?

1st is what looks like a hammered copper box  size 5.1/2" x 4"  it has no clasp latch it just lifts up. The inside has small nuts holding the screws in place. It has tiny nails all around. The top looks like it is decorated with a flower and leaves. -2nd is a contemporary box size 6" x 4" it has an acrylic like covering and a wacky looking girl with sunglasses. The inside is padded, there is nothing but a black felt like covering on the bottom. - 3rd I don't know if this is called Mother of Pearl inlay or abalone it is a rectangular black lacquered wooden box size 9" x 3" it has a I guess makers mark on the bottom looks to be Chinese the picture will not come out for me to post. It is decorated with 2 birds and flowers. The inside has a shiny pattern inlay also.  Finally I am trying to determine if this box with a ceramic tile center inlay in made of Black Walnut...if not do you know what type of wood it is. It is 5.1/2" square with a lift up lid.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

It is hard to tell the exact material from a photo. It looks like hand placed brass bands separating the color areas, like real glass-baked enamel. True enamel is imitated in a hundred ways. It could be a baked on oil base paint, or a cold process acrylic or resin. The whole could be lacquered with epoxy in the end.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

A few more pictures..

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Sorry I forgot to ask all of my questions, I would like to know the maker and year if possible along with the other information I requested in my post.....Thankyou for any help given.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

My dear, without running my fingers through the wood, and observing the way the little boxes open and close, it is very difficult for me to make a thorough assessment. The tile box looks to me like a mass. The upper part is called in Portuguese "azulejo" and was brought to the Iberian Peninsula by the Arabs who, as you know do not draw human figures but rather geometric figures.
The other box looks like a typical Mexican or Latin American jewelry store. Look at the back, the little fingers, and the locks. Curiously have to do with China (decoration, birds and flowers embedded, mostly in mother-of-pearl) it seems to me of very good quality wood, it's mass and lacquer. The Chinese are expert in lacquering of good wood and there are objects and furnishings that cost a fortune. In Portugal it is called "xarão" .About theother I can not tell you much. It looks like nineteenth century  with the enameled cover. Does not it remind you of Picasso in the later stage?
Friend, I hope I have helped in some way but surely you will have people much more classified because as you understand it is difficult at a distance to evaluate objects of this nature.
Congratulations by the items!
Maria

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Sorry..."curiously the black one"...

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

You know, people love little boxes like these and still collect them.

The copper box is a kind of Repoussé popular in the 1950s through the 1970s as a craft. It's interesting and handmade, not necessarily fine.

The box with the shell work is abalone and looks to be set in lacquer. It appears to be quite fine and I expect there to be a good market for it.

I think you are right about the wood box being walnut, but it's doubtful that the type of wood matters. The tile does appear to be hand painted and that should attract collectors.

The other box is hard to access by photo. It has brass lines that suggest cloisenee. It is possible that a kind of enamel was used in a cloisenee technique. Real enamel and cloisenee, in essence, are the same, being made from glass. The style of design looks like the 1990s.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Thankyou so much for your help....the box with the crazy looking lady is not enamel but some kind of acrylic covering.. 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

It is hard to tell the exact material from a photo. It looks like hand placed brass bands separating the color areas, like real glass-baked enamel. True enamel is imitated in a hundred ways. It could be a baked on oil base paint, or a cold process acrylic or resin. The whole could be lacquered with epoxy in the end.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

MyDear, the boxes are very pretty and all we know that we find collectors for everithing. Be shure (and you will tell-me) you will sell it for a good price. If i where near you i see, i study and i make the story for each one.

The Chinese sold large and beautiful pieces to Porgugal, which had been shipped by Macao, at the time Macau was Portuguese. I can tell you that from porcelain jars, terrines, dishes, lacquered screens, camphor chests, sherry boxes like yours, are importing everything to China ... it's curious and in my profession I talked to many sellers and audited to warehouses for the security of the air cargo and I was amazed when I saw that the best things are returning to the origin ... I have inherited many Chinese things, among them a huge black bar, like your little box and with many drawers and opens and closes, full of human figures in mother-of-pearl. I have the house full like an egg. I'll try to take some pictures that I can send you. Even the famous and expensive porcelain Company of the Indies is going there, because it was made in China (sixteenth and seventeenth centuries and they came in our caravels, to the "Great Families of the Noble" which is scarcely there. Boxes, especially by the black, that you will get a good deal but you have to make a detailed enough story that  and do not let yourself be deceived. On the other side of the world, for whatever you need,
 I help in what I can.

Carefully.

Maria

Message 9 of 9
latest reply