cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Helping to sell antiques.

I am trying to help a friend of mine sell her antiques on Ebay. She is selling to help pay her medical bills. I am sorry if I ask to many questions on this board but it is to help her with her items.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Are you withholding the payment  for 6 months or are you giving her the money as soon as it clears your account?

I ask because you are actually on the hook for 6 months. The buyer could open a case on PayPal 180  days later and win. If she spent it on medical bills then what? It comes out of your pocket.   Also there's  that little thing called a 1099-K  form that reports your sales to the IRS.  Is she going to pay your state and federal income taxes?

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Eye opening response right off.  There are probably other situations that need to be considered.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Feel free to ask as many questions as you like. But try not to start multiple threads about the same items, as it can get very confusing. Just post replies to your original thread(s), unless you have a new item to discuss.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

If you are using your own account to sell for your friend, be prepared for the impact on your tax status.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I am disabled I don't have to file taxes.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

This can quickly become a nightmare scenario for you. Using the two "400 year old" objects as an example; if you were to sell them to a buyer who knows as little as you about them and the buyer trusts you and buys them for say $100 and then finds out they are really only worth $30, well, they might be very upset. You could get strikes against your account  which could prevent you from selling here.

You really need to get a grip on how to sell on ebay before you put another's property up for sale. ebay has primers on how to sell here that you should master before going forward. Take at least a month and read how things are done here before completing your first transaction.

Good luck.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

True that you do not have to file or report your disability check you receive. But income you receive  separate from that is reportable. You need to check yourself before you wreck yourself.  Consult with an IRS agent or a tax attorney.  My roommate r.i.p was 100% disabled and didn't have to report his disability check but other income he earned had to be reported.  

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@annawaller-1 wrote:

I am trying to help a friend of mine sell her antiques on Ebay. She is selling to help pay her medical bills. I am sorry if I ask to many questions on this board but it is to help her with her items.

You are not asking too many questions, but here's advice I've given to others in your situation:

1. Start only one thread on each item. More than one confuses and annoys those trying to help you.

2. While you are under no obligation to accept the answers you are given, and no one here claims absolute or perfect knowledge, if you do not intend to use, at all, the help and information you are given, don't ask for it.

3. Acknowledge the time and effort others put in on your behalf, whether or not you accept the conclusions.

4.  It is very kind of you to help your friend, but be very careful because selling for others has many pitfalls.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@annawaller-1 wrote:

Hmm: you are responsible for the taxes as income from this even if you are on disability.

You can lose item and money paid for it way down the line as already been explained.

Fees on ebay are such:

Any listing fees. Any promotional fees.

Item value plus shipping plus tax and then the final value fee it calculated.

If out of country payment a international fee.

Simply put: it going to cost a bit to sell such on eBay...

Best to look into local systems for doing such.

Oh I hope you did not give out credit info so they could be sure of you..... Such is a scam.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

All the advice you have received is good.  Here's mine, go to an antique mall, ask them IF they know anyone who would be interested in buying the items.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply