cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with this horse painting.

Anyone familiar with this type of work, and artist? The horse is painted on leather and hand signed. TIA

20230606_125422.jpg20230606_125428.jpg20230606_125432.jpg

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I'd call it a take-off on, or a version or modification of, the famous and beautiful Chinese brush paintings of horses, like these (and, by the way, Japanese artists work in much the same style, so  you should take a look at such, as well):

https://www.google.com/search?q=chinese+horse+brush+paintings&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjsnNyOh6uAAxUetIkE...

-

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I agree that it's definitely a different take on the ink brushed horses I've posted about before. The calligraphy seems very adept, the horse seems very caffeinated. 

I'd  ?guess? That maybe the artist was trying a literal aesthetic fusion of East and West. They may be/ have been a Chinese expatriate working in the style of the place in America where they found a new home. 

It's wild. 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

As a Chinese, I can't recongnized  the Chinese characters written on your painting.😅This should be a souvenir bought by someone when they travel to China

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

The characters look like Japanese calligraphy. Is that possible @waxu_93 ? 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

not Japanese.it's China made for tourist market. I had been a employee in traveling before covid 19 epidemic.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@waxu_93 

I bet you've seen a few things in that job. Thanks for the clarification regarding the script. 

BTW:  Is it common for Chinese souvenirs aimed at western tourists to have gibberish writing? Is it a recent or a long standing practice?

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

In China, it is very shameful for a painter not to write his own name well. If he fails to write his name well, it can only be said that he did it on purpose.

Many things are tailor-made for foreigners, it is a  a long standing practice.

For example, the following American universities are also tailor-made for Chinese people.😂

https://www.52souxue.com/plus/view.php?aid=772303

Message 8 of 8
latest reply