cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with identifying a makers mark please. Thank you

I am trying to identify a makers mark on this bottle and it's driving me bonkers. Can anyone please help or point me in the right direction. Thank uouIMG_1460.JPGIMG_1461.JPG

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

@80sboy1967

For help in identifying objects, check in with the Groups/Discussion boards, above. For your object, you might see the Group/Discussion board -https://community.ebay.com/t5/Pottery-Glass/ct-p/1118

eBay is continually updating this site. Some advice given may have changed. Please reply to this thread, to let us know if this advice works for you. The links on the bottom of any eBay page can help you deal with most eBay issues. Contact eBay Customer Service on Facebook.com/eBay or Twitter.com/AskeBay
Message 2 of 32
latest reply

There are many people here that know more than one thing. I know from experience that people on this board DO know quite a bit about pottery and the associated marks and are just as accurate as those on the pottery board. In fact, many of them look on those boards as well. Did you know that many collectibles are made of pottery and glass?

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

I am aware of this, but the 5 month time period between the OP's question and your response says it all. I doubt the OP wanted to wait that long.

There is a lot of knowledge in this community, but many just lurk or otherwise are not sure enough of their answers to respond. So I send members to the appropriate place to find the answers they seek.

eBay is continually updating this site. Some advice given may have changed. Please reply to this thread, to let us know if this advice works for you. The links on the bottom of any eBay page can help you deal with most eBay issues. Contact eBay Customer Service on Facebook.com/eBay or Twitter.com/AskeBay
Message 4 of 32
latest reply

BTW, I only answer on certain boards. This thread was moved from another board to this one.

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

Curious as to why it was not moved to the pottery board initially if that is officially where it is supposed to be. As for me not noticing this rogue thread for 5 months, I can only say I have no guilt; I was too busy answering other threads. One thing I've noticed is that people will respond to their own posts by asking a second time if they have no success with the first.

Just curious why you waited 5 months to respond.

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

You know, if I'm seeing the dates right you're the one who replied to an old thread first (message 3)...  These zombie threads are weird, like things roiled up from the bottom of a lake. 

NIGHT OF THE LIVING THREAD, indeed.  Smiley LOL  Smiley LOL

Not that anyone cares at this point, but when I see a mitre, crosier and stole, and stag's antlers, I think, "a diocesan coat of arms".

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

"a diocesan coat of arms"

Worth waiting 5 months just to read that! My only thought is that it was not in the form of a question.

and, it's not on the pottery board.

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

I know less than nothing about ecclesiastical heraldry, but the mitre, crosier, and stole are obvious and the stag is one of the symbols for Christ.  Maybe it's even among these:

https://www.google.com/search?q=diocesan+coats+of+arms&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiw1v7OwP...

Uh, oh...  Wait...  This isn't on the Heraldry Board.  Am I in trouble now?

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

I know less than nothing about ecclesiastical heraldry, but the mitre, crosier, and stole are obvious and the stag is one of the symbols for Christ.   I c

It may have been the "XX" thing that the OP was looking to identify - the ecclesiastical arms seem more a design feature than a maker's mark.

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

Oh, I know.  I was just messing around.  I'm sure the maker's mark is the M V  (I think that's what it is) at the base of the handle.  But random musings for randomly re-animated threads, I say.

They should never have hired Herbert West as a programmer.

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

I'm sure the maker's mark is the M V  (I think that's what it is) at the base of the handle.  

Did I say XX? Of course I meant to type MV, my fingers just slipped.

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

And how do we know it's not V M, anyhow?

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

That is extremely funny, but can't you all just let this thread die?

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

And how do we know it's not V M, anyhow?

Because you're generally right first time.

Message 15 of 32
latest reply