cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with female clay bust sculpture?

I picked this up today and I thought it was unusual. I immediately thought it might be a student's work, but I am not sure. I have seen some ugly works by relatively famous artists, and some great work by ameateurs. It weighs about 18 lbs. and measures about 18" in height including the wood stand. Its hard to read the signature and the date although it looks like possible 93 in there. Anyone recognize the work or name? Guess as to age? I can't tell if the greenish/rust type colors were added to simulate patina on a bronze bust. Does clay get a patina? Is there a market for this kind of thing? Really any information would help because I know very little about this kind of art. Thanks

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Help with female clay bust sculpture?

@sarahd53 wrote:

It weighs about 18 lbs.

I think you're facing two problems at the outset: it's very heavy, and it isn't of outstanding quality. So unless you can establish that it's a well-known subject (the hat looks kind of 1920s style?) or that it's by an established sculptor, it could prove a tough sell. I'm sure you're right about the simulated patina. Have you tried lightly tracing the signature indentations? That might help identify some of the letters. From the photos, the year could be '05 as easily as '93 - but of course, you're better placed to tell. Not much difference, as both fairly recent.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply