cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with antique painting

Picked this up today from a local online auction estate sale (first time for one of those). They had a few pieces of art and I purchased 3 of them. The pictures for the listing weren't great and there wasn't many details, but I think this one was a pretty good buy for the price. There is a small tear at the top (which also wasn't described), but in the event this was anything special I figure I could have it repaired. If nothing else I got a pretty nice frame. Can anyone help me with the signature? I need fresh eyes. Nails, patina of the wood, canvas all show signs of decent age. Any help is always appreciated. Thanks

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

@argon38wrote:

... I'm still bemused by the dearth of information about the artist. If he had an established reputation then I could understand the high prices, but nobody seems to know who he was.

I agree. I wouldn't say that the artist was great, like an American Impressionist who might have shown at the same galleries as Tourney in the 1930s. His work is  genre paintings taking after the Dutch Baroque that was wildly popular at the turn of the century but only affordable to the wealthy. Tournay's work does fall firmly into the potboiler category to me eye. He probably made a modest living. He may have signed this genre work with a pseudonym, while signing his more "serious" projects with his real name.

Why a painting like this has value may have more to do with the public perception than the artist's merit. I could take one of the "Van Der's" works off of a museum wall, and bring it to a mall and put it next to this Tournay and 90% of the buying public would choose the Tournay because it was signed and he is a "known" artist, if I told them we didn't know who the artist was for the unsigned museum work.

When the price of French impressionist's paintings went into the stratosphere, suddenly the value of American Impressionist (artist's that were seen as copy cats and poor cousins) suddenly gained in value and found a ready audience. The same can be said for several regional artists, like the mid century California and western artists who gained sudden favor in the 1980s.

Sometimes, for someone like a Tournay to be 'found' all it takes is a dealer with a little local art shop somewhere (perhaps in the town where Tournay painted) to feature the work and establish a value. Then the buyers will beat down the door. Or a well placed WorhtPoint listing seems to be able to do the trick as well.

Message 31 of 35
latest reply

Wow, when I last left this post it had 3 replies, now look at it :D. I actually purchased these from an online estate sale (first time for one of those) that had ineffecient marketing and descriptions. The title of this listing was 'old oil painting' or something to that effect. I purchased a few pieces of art from this sale. Two of which were 2 confirmed pieces by an artist named Dmitri Wright who I was familiar with. I say confirmed because I corresponded with Dmitri's studio and they authenticated them. The 2 pieces by Wright were just listed as '2 watercolor paintings'. The sale actually had quite a few quality pieces that undersold by quite a bit in my opinion. There were nice pieces of furniture that finished with 0 or 1 bid for $1. They had a lot of MCM gold jewelry that basically sold for a little under the melt value. When I searched H. Tournay I wasn't impressed by the sales prices. I couldn't see all of the works, but I saw the majority sold in the range of $100-$300 and that one sold for 2k+. I figured that was either a mistake or it was just featured in an upscale auction house.  In my opinion the painting style looks too similar to the others currently to be a copy of a relatively obscure artist. Maybe he is a made up artist, but I can say for sure that it is most definitely painted, and shows age consistent with the first half of the 20th century. 

Message 32 of 35
latest reply

I bought an 1879 Victorian house and this was in the attic.

Message 33 of 35
latest reply

@maspin_46 wrote:

I bought an 1879 Victorian house and this was in the attic.

Interesting. The typewritten label on yours is identical in both text and appearance to this one here:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-tournay-oil-painting-babbling-1544237614 

Message 34 of 35
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began, we have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread HERE.

Thanks.

Message 35 of 35
latest reply