cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Military Badge

Hi all,

Was hoping for a little help with more info on a military badge I had listed and mis-ID'ed as being an ancient Roman or Greek Phalera. 

I was contacted by another eBayer stating the piece I had listed was not correct and it's in fact some sort of rare military badge dealing with the Napoleonic war era British Pensioner soldiers in Canada. He/She sent me an image with text of a near identical piece housed within the Huronia Museum, Ontario, that was recovered from a Pensioner's house and donated to the museum by the renowned Canadian archaeologist, A. Douglas Tushingham (1914 - 2002). I tried contacting the museum regarding their piece (please see pic below) but to no avail.

Can you all please help me find more info regarding these badges? Thank you!

Museum's Piece...

JKGDJHGDUH-001.jpg

My Piece...

JGDFJGJ.jpgFGDJKGDKJ.jpg

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Help with Military Badge

I wish I knew how Mr. Tushingham  determined it to be a military medal.    It does not look like one, or any other military insignia.  Wonder if it could be a military chinstrap fastener (assuming the size is right for that). 

I hope the museum gets back in touch with you.

In the meantime, for those unfamiliar with the vents, this long article in The [Canadian] Legion talks about the Napoleonic War (and other) veterans shipped hither and yon, into situations for which they were totally unprepared, in order to get them off the streets of London:

https://legionmagazine.com/en/war-veterans-in-the-wilderness/

-

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Help with Military Badge

All I can offer is that yours was kept in better storage conditions but not so good that the pin back posts didn't corrode/degrade over time. If you could get the museum to show the back and posts of theirs that might help. It is still holiday/winter time so a response might be delayed.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply