cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help identifying this type of needlework

I've never seen this type of needlework before and am wondering what to call it. DSCN5449.JPG

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I took a closer look at this, and I think that the backing is the dark blue-black part, which is kind of a network or grid work of twisted cords. I don't recognize how this backing was made, but the decoration has been embroidered over the vertical, horizontal and diagonal cords. There is a white or off-white color visible behind the gridwork, but it is the same as you can see behind the fringe, and left of the fringe, so I think that is the surface that the piece is laid on.

It might help to see the whole piece. The design appears to be part of 48-star American flag, which was used from 1912 to 1959.

ETA: the design part of this piece is done in an embroidery stitch called ribbed wheel, spider wheel, or whipped wheel. If it's worked on woven fabric, then you start by creating a grid of large, crossing, vertical, horizontal and diagonal stitches to create a gridwork, then build the wheel on top of that. For this piece, they used a gridwork fabric that was created another way, and worked the stitches on that.

https://rsnstitchbank.org/stitch/whipped-wheel

View Best Answer in original post

Message 9 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

I doubt that this thing was knitted by Americans. How can Americans have time to do this?

for reference:

https://graph.baidu.com/s?card_key=&entrance=GENERAL&extUiData%5BisLogoShow%5D=1&f=all&isLogoShow=1&...

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Before condemning another culture and its abilities it is wise to take a close look at their past.

In America, in the past, every state had an annual State Fair where one could spend an entire year creating an entry. From all walks and through differing use of materials, new art forms evolved into what could be called State Fair Folk Art. Everyone did their very best work to enter the fair, be it painting, woodwork, needlework, etc. Winners were awarded ribbons. I  think what this is is a high-caliber American Folk Art piece. As American themes were popular in late Victorian folk art there is a good chance you might find it's origins there. What is it mounted on? Show some close-ups of the back, please.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

It isn't knitting, at any rate.

It's a kind of embroidery, but that's a generic answer. I don't recognize the style of embroidery. Embroidery is typically worked with a needle and thread, on a backing of fabric ... that's a very generic, pretty much all-inclusive definition. This was done with a needle and thread, but I can't see the backing in the picture.

I recognize the 8-spoked wheels, but I can't remember what they're called.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Maybe my English is not written clearly.I just don’t think Americans have time to knit such things.Not a condemnation。

Of course, the Americans you mentioned also spend time doing this. That may be because I don’t understand the United States.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Yes, that is why I put in a time reference "As American themes were popular in late Victorian folk art..." " Items like this were done in the past and can be considered antiques/vintage.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

It looks to be an American flag...and I imagine it was done by an American with great skill plus the time to create it.  I'd love to see the entire piece. 

Rita 

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

It looks like a thread twist or thread wrap style of art.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

I took a closer look at this, and I think that the backing is the dark blue-black part, which is kind of a network or grid work of twisted cords. I don't recognize how this backing was made, but the decoration has been embroidered over the vertical, horizontal and diagonal cords. There is a white or off-white color visible behind the gridwork, but it is the same as you can see behind the fringe, and left of the fringe, so I think that is the surface that the piece is laid on.

It might help to see the whole piece. The design appears to be part of 48-star American flag, which was used from 1912 to 1959.

ETA: the design part of this piece is done in an embroidery stitch called ribbed wheel, spider wheel, or whipped wheel. If it's worked on woven fabric, then you start by creating a grid of large, crossing, vertical, horizontal and diagonal stitches to create a gridwork, then build the wheel on top of that. For this piece, they used a gridwork fabric that was created another way, and worked the stitches on that.

https://rsnstitchbank.org/stitch/whipped-wheel

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

I think condemn is a strong word, and that's not what I took your post to mean. 

I assume @waxu_93 you mean how is it possible to have the free time it would take to do something this intricate when we all have jobs and busy lives, right?

Two things: 

1. Old ladies. I live in the south and there are still plenty of grandmothers who do needlework. They sit for hours with Fox news blasting in the background. My grandma and aunts taught me how to crochet, knit, cross stitch, needle point and embroider as a kid. I'm the last of that era, (I'll be 50 in a few years.) 

2. There is a growing number of younger girls getting into traditional crafts with an edgy vibe to them. I know a gal who knits specialty very intricate fishnet stockings and fingerless gloves. So, it's coming back in a small way. 

If it's any help to the thread, it most closely resembles needlepoint, but I've never seen that style before. I could be off with that guess. 

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Hello.....thanks for your explanation for this type of needlework. I can see where it could definitely be called ribbed wheel or spider wheel. It makes sense that the wheels were worked on the dark blue threads as they end up as the fringed edges. Yes, the piece was laid on a light grey poster board when I took the pics.  It's such an interesting piece, I might just decide to keep it 🙂 Thanks again!

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Hello.......thanks for your input on this interesting needlework. It could very well have been made for some type of fair. I can't even imagine the hours that it took to make this piece. I do hope the needleworker won a blue ribbon for this one 🙂

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Yes, I know the United States through movies, TV and articles, and they let me feel that Americans are very pressed for time. There is indeed no mention of Americans spending such a long time knitting something.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Maybe not now in the computer age, but in days of yore we excelled in art, crafts, and literature and still do but everybody is on their computer going fast. I restore art & antiques and there is no quick fix in what I do. Very slow!

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Curious, what part of China are you in? I love some of the old porcelains from Jing da Jen (spelling?) and Mlng porcelains.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply