cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Identifying Vintage coffee pot

i was told could be military has a 6 TDSC06111.JPGDSC06112.JPGDSC06113.JPGDSC06114.JPGDSC06115.JPG number on the bottom please help if you can thank you

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Thanks a lot for the extra pictures. That really helps.

I have been researching this, and it is a vacuum coffee pot. 

I found a listing for another coffee pot just like yours. It has the handle and a stand with it. It looks like you would put something like a little can of sterno in the hole in the base, and light the flame to heat the water and make the coffee.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-With-Stand-Holder-in-Brass-Chrome-Vacuum-Coffee-Maker-Burner-Old-Ma...

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

This one is located in Portugal, so this coffee pot may have been made in Europe. I think that the marks 4 T and 6 T probably refer to how many cups of coffee it would make. "Cups" is tazze in Italian, tazas in Spanish, tasses in French, tassen in German, and xícaras in Portuguese.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 13 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

What is its size?  What reason were you given for its being military, and were you told it was for field use?   Interesting old thing.  Never seen anything quite like it.  Also, I can't tell if it is 6 T or L 9

DSC06113.JPG

DSC06113.v01.JPG

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

it's 9" tall by 5 1/2" round ya on the mark was not sure myself but the mark on the end made it look like a T just was her father when he was in the military that is what i was told thanks

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

OK, and thanks.  I'm still trying to figure out ho the heck that would be used to make coffee, or tea.    😊

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

It isn't clear to me how the individual parts go together to make the assembled coffee maker in the first picture. I can't figure out what picture 2 is showing, for example.

However, I believe this is what is usually called a stove top espresso maker in the USA. In some other places it is called a Moka Pot.

There was another member looking to ID a stove top espresso maker a few weeks ago. Here's a link to the thread, this goes to a reply that includes a link that shows how they are used to make coffee.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Collectibles-Art/Is-someone-can-help-me-to-ID-this-vintage-COFFEE-MAKE...

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

@lacemaker3 wrote:

It isn't clear to me how the individual parts go together to make the assembled coffee maker in the first picture. I can't figure out what picture 2 is showing, for example...

Ditto.

I wondered about a moka pot, too, but in a moka pot the coffee to drink ends up in the top, so the spout is part of the top piece of the pot.  Right?  I've never seen any other moka pot design.

In OP's, the spout is part of the bottom piece.  No idea how coffee, or tea, would be made in this.  I suppose it might be some sort of French drip pot but, really, I'm not seeing that, either.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

@lacemaker3 wrote:

It isn't clear to me how the individual parts go together to make the assembled coffee maker in the first picture. I can't figure out what picture 2 is showing, for example...

In OP's, the spout is part of the bottom piece.  No idea how coffee, or tea, would be made in this.  I suppose it might be some sort of French drip pot but, really, I'm not seeing that, either.

So it is. I missed that. I don't know why the spout is like that.

It would really help to be able to understand how the individual pieces are put together to make the assembled coffee pot. The basket for holding the coffee looks just like a stove top espresso maker. That's why I think that is how this one works.

It's different from a percolator, because a percolator basket goes at the top of the coffee maker, and it has a hollow stem up the middle where the heated water goes up and then splashes back down through the ground coffee to the bottom again. Once the coffee has been brewed, you take out the basket so you can pour the coffee out.

A vacuum coffee pot is similar to a stove top espresso maker, but there isn't any basket for the ground coffee beans. You put the ground coffee in the top, and the cold water in the bottom, and put it on the heat. When the water heats up, vacuum pressure makes it go up into the top part, where the coffee is brewed. Once the water is in the top, you take it off the heat and wait for a few minutes. When it cools down, the pressure drops, and the now-brewed coffee pours back down into the bottom, you lift the top part off, and serve the coffee by pouring it from the bottom part.

A French press or cafetiere doesn't have a basket either. You put the ground coffee beans into the pot, add the hot water, and let it brew for a few minutes. Then you press the filter down, so it traps all the ground coffee at the bottom and lets you pour out the brewed coffee.

It's obviously not a drip coffee maker, or a steam-espresso maker, and that's all the (non-electric) ways of making coffee that I know of. For Turkish coffee, the hot water is poured over the ground coffee, like a French press, but it doesn't have a filter to press down to trap the ground coffee so you have to pour it carefully and there's always some ground coffee at the bottom of your cup.

I have at least one of each of these, except for a percolator, and several types of electric coffee makers as well.

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

photo # 2 shows where the handle would have screwed on thanks

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

OK, please let me know if I have got this right.

This is the assembled coffee pot. The top and the bottom each have one half of a threaded stud. When you put the top on, the two halves line up, and you fasten them together by screwing a handle onto the them.

DSC06111.JPG

These are the two parts taken apart. The bottom is on the left, with a spout at the bottom right. The top part is on the right. It looks like the top has a press-fit onto the bottom, unless the handle is screwed on to make it secure.

DSC06114.JPG

In this picture, the basket for holding the ground coffee has been pulled off of the top piece. The basket is in the middle, with the top part on the right.

DSC06115.JPG

It looks like the top part should come apart more than this. The pieces that are shown inside the top part should come out of the top part. Otherwise, there wouldn't be any way to clean the top part, and it would have coffee inside it so it needs to be possible to clean it.

The circular metal disc with holes in should come out, and I think the ring-shaped piece that the metal disc fits into should come out as well.

Please take it apart and show some more pictures showing how the pieces fit together.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

DSC06116.JPGDSC06117.JPGDSC06118.JPGDSC06119.JPG

first photo looking into the top part #2 what came out of the top # 4 those 2 piece go together in the top part than the bottom piece never mind  never mind 3  same as 4 but not showing the other pice

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

@litt2late wrote:

photo # 2 shows where the handle would have screwed on thanks

Do you know if that is a straight handle?

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

not sure was missing when bought it

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Thanks a lot for the extra pictures. That really helps.

I have been researching this, and it is a vacuum coffee pot. 

I found a listing for another coffee pot just like yours. It has the handle and a stand with it. It looks like you would put something like a little can of sterno in the hole in the base, and light the flame to heat the water and make the coffee.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-With-Stand-Holder-in-Brass-Chrome-Vacuum-Coffee-Maker-Burner-Old-Ma...

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

This one is located in Portugal, so this coffee pot may have been made in Europe. I think that the marks 4 T and 6 T probably refer to how many cups of coffee it would make. "Cups" is tazze in Italian, tazas in Spanish, tasses in French, tassen in German, and xícaras in Portuguese.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Wow thank you so much you are the man i can't beleave it Again Thank you

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Fantastic!  I returned to see if I could come up with any new ideas, and the puzzle was solved.  I have never seen a coffeemaker like that.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply