cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Id Chinese artist?

Hello...Was hoping someone could help with signatures on these watercolor paintings.  Also, if anyone could tell me what the pictures are about? Celebration? Any input would be greatly apprectiated. Thank you !

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Help Id Chinese artist?

I originally thought this was Chinese, but now, I'm not sure. After looking more closely to the pictures, and looking for comparables on the internet, I don't see men who wore short skirts.  I took another picture of I think of writing (maybe signature again?) If anyone could help of who, what,  where and age? The watercolor is done on very thin paper, maybe rice paper?  Would be greatly appreciated. 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Help Id Chinese artist?

Japanese procession
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Help Id Chinese artist?

Agreed, thank you casey768. Just wondering what timeframe, or why these men are wearing short skirts. So Japanese? I would never have guessed that. And the one with the woman and ox. Is she riding the ox? I don't see a carriage. Or maybe the ox is blocking the image? 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Help Id Chinese artist?

It is a man riding the ox,not a woman,why is he riding an ox,I dont know,may be he cant afford a horse??

laborers wear short costume as they do physical work,cotton is also expensive/

do you know Japanese women do not wear underwear under their kimono,same reason.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Help Id Chinese artist?

I see that now casey..he is riding the ox. I did think it was a woman because of the yellow head dress. I assumed it was a woman. Also, the costume is different. A kimono of sort and those following, kimonos as well. Usually when I see asian painting they have geisha with fan or men that appear to be hanging around. Lol ! So not much of a story and most somewhat easy to identify to someone with very little knowledge of asian art. I really appreciate you sitting me straight on what I assume to be seeing. Still hoping someone can decipher the 2nd pic writing though. Maybe that will help. 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Help Id Chinese artist?

if Artelino is still around,they run Japanese print auctions,they may tell you who is the artist.

Japanese are big on processions,shoguns,wedding,geisha outings etc.

laborers have t o carry heavy stuff and wade into river,hence the short skirts they are wearing. 

Put lime in the coconut and call me in the morning !
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Help Id Chinese artist?

thank you tofu107. I looked at the Artelino website and they don't provide a email address. But if you create an account, there is a email icon which doesn't work once you click on it. Seems like a great site though. Oddly, again, looking at the pictures, the art looks like its from the same artist, but the signatures are not the same. So maybe they aren't signatures after all. I really appreciate yours and caseys insight of the short skirts. I would never have known they were laborers. Im thinking, one of the processions is of a labor march with banner? 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Help Id Chinese artist?

I finally figured out how to get into the Asian Art Forum and got a reply to one of the watercolors for an ID on artist. The artist is Kainosho Tadaoto and he apparently was a Japanese painter active during the Taisho and Showa period. He also worked in the film industry as a designer of costumes and other items. He was nominated for an award in 1953. This morning I was looking at his art work and he did beautiful paintings but nothing like mine. Mine is so plain compared to what is shown and I only find his work on auction sites. How, can I get a value of the painting I have? Any ideas? 

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Help Id Chinese artist?

I think the technique is called Ink and brush with color. though some sellers may call it a water color.

The style is a little old fashioned, but it is a comic style, like a Sunday morning cartoon. Often they lampoon social customs, or simply illustrate life in a manner that makes the ordinary seem foolish. Like walking tall flag poles through a forest of trees or honoring someone riding an ox. They also may illustrate a sentiment or aphorism.

If you have the correct ID for the artist, this could have been a study, possibly even copying an older work, as an exercise. There may also be two artists by the same name.

Have you tried a Japanese language forum? perhaps someone there will have a better interpretation of the work.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Help Id Chinese artist?

Thank you pixzee on your input. I think I need to reply back on the Asianart Forum to see what their interpretation is.  I just asked for ID of the artist and this is the response I got. 

Signature reads, 
楠音 - Tadaoto 
Kainoshō Tadaoto 甲斐庄楠音 1894-1978 
Japanese painter active during the Taisho and Showa period. Also worked in the film industry as designer of timely costumes and items.

Seemed pretty definite to the artist and since I can't read Japanese, I accept that the artist is Kainosho Tadaoto. These are somewhat cartoonish and very different from what I have seen so far from his work unless it was very early in his career. Still, because his work is sold at auction sites, I have no idea as to the value, if any. 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply