cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help ID Textile Motif

Can you all please help me ID this textile motif?

Age, culture, etc.

Size roughtly: 7 x 7 in.

Thank you!

MOTIF 001.jpgMOTIF 002.jpg

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Help ID Textile Motif

I would say Huichol yarn art from Mexico. That is yarn glued down on board right? Looks 40's or so.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Help ID Textile Motif

I'd say the animals are a jackrabbit and a rattlesnake.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Help ID Textile Motif

You nailed it, thank you!

Yes, the yarn is adhered to the millboard (corners falling apart).

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Help ID Textile Motif

There's a wonderful Mexican folktale about a rabbit and snake: 

A man rescues a snake that he finds trapped under a rock.  The snake then coils around the man's neck and says he's going to kill and eat him.  The man says that is unfair, and the snake replies that life is unfair and he's hungry. 

They wrangle back and forth until the snake agrees that he won't eat the man if they can find one creature who thinks life is fair. 

They ask a cow, who concludes that life is unfair since, after years of providing calves and milk, she'll be sent to slaughter once she's past her prime.  Next they ask a horse, who answers in much the same way, saying that after years of service, he'll be sent to the glue factory once he's too old to work. 

Finally, they ask a rabbit who replies that, as a mere rabbit he can hardly answer such profound questions, and it is surely not for him to say if life is fair or unfair, being but a simple rabbit.  But, he says, he does know that whether or not life is fair, one can always dance. 

He begins to hop and wheel and dance, and the cow and horse are inspired to to do the same, then the man begins to dance, and finally even the snake can't help but dance -- and in so doing, loosens his girp on the man who dashes off to safety with the laughing rabbit at his side.   

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Help ID Textile Motif

Very nice, thanks for posting this!

Message 6 of 6
latest reply