cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elephant Can

This is about 6 inches tall x 3 inches wide and uncleaned; it used to have a little chain connecting the elephant lid to the inner metal tray to pull it out.

There are no markings and it has some rust stains on the tray.  The can looks like copper. Do you have any idea what this was used for?

DSC_0022.JPGDSC_0023.JPGDSC_0025.JPGDSC_0026.JPGDSC_0028.JPG

ON VACATION
GONE FISHING
BACK AT 6
Message 1 of 17
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Elephant Can

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cigarette caddy?

Here's a very similar one (with the chain intact). Those old school unfiltered cigarettes were pretty short.

LINK    https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/58741434_cigarette-tin-caddy-with-an-art-deco-elephant

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Elephant Can

Old betel quid container?  Wild guess.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Elephant Can

That is a wild guess! I have no clue...thanks!

ON VACATION
GONE FISHING
BACK AT 6
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Elephant Can

tea caddy? For powdered tea?

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Elephant Can

wrote:

That is a wild guess! I have no clue...thanks!

Any time I see a vaguely Asian item with three or four compartments, I think "betel quid!"  

They say a mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Elephant Can

wrote:

it used to have a little chain connecting the elephant lid to the inner metal tray to pull it out.

So you wouldn't have been able to lift the lid without pulling that tray thing out as well? I'm not sure I'm visualizing it properly.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Elephant Can

Look at antique metal humidors - there are some that aren't much larger than what you have. Not saying that's what it is, but  maybe.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Elephant Can

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cigarette caddy?

Here's a very similar one (with the chain intact). Those old school unfiltered cigarettes were pretty short.

LINK    https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/58741434_cigarette-tin-caddy-with-an-art-deco-elephant

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Elephant Can

Nailed it!  Absolutely.  Even the same tooled leather as OP's.

For you...

index.jpeg

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Elephant Can

Anonymous
Not applicable

Aw-shucks, thanks! My only hesitation and the reason I qualified my response with a "?" is the design seems a bit awkward to me. I guess the trick (or skill) would be to not pull the holder all the way out of the can and risk an adult's game of pick-up-sticks.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Elephant Can

well done!
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Elephant Can

I understand your hestitation to use one example as final, but I think the identification is correct.  I have seen many novelty cigarette "dispensers" that are rather silly, awkward things.  But what fun is a simple box? 

My own family had several such things, back in the day when smoking was common and considered normal and perfectly okay, rather than a failure of character or a crime.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Elephant Can

Excellent! Thank you for the link. That is very informative.

And thank you all for the ideas.

ON VACATION
GONE FISHING
BACK AT 6
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Elephant Can

The caddy in your link is not only similar but identical! I will have to do some research into who manufactured these. Same old leather wrap and chain set-up. The lid fits very snug. I was wondering about the pull out tray too; I can now see cigarettes in there and dispensed very gently!

ON VACATION
GONE FISHING
BACK AT 6
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Elephant Can

But do keep your eyes for a nice betel quid holder.  

Oh, like this one, say:
http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/lot.283.html/2013/art-imperial-india-l13502

Message 15 of 17
latest reply