cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cast iron bench parts ? What are they pls

I have 4 cast iron pieces here and not sure what they are. A piece of a bench. Not sure. Any help is appreciated. Thx a lot.

DSC09995.JPGDSC09999.JPG

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

As a start, look at late 19th c ferry benches which were attached in rows. The guides on the bottom make me think they were in a track.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

As a start, look at late 19th c ferry benches which were attached in rows. The guides on the bottom make me think they were in a track.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Oops did not mean to use Best Answer already. I will try to find a fairy bench though. Thanks

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@myjunkmightbeurtreasure wrote:

I will try to find a fairy bench though.

Or a ferry bench. 😉

Here's the exact same item:

https://romaarellano.com/listing/555445026/two-cast-iron-shelf-brackets-vintage

Seller listed as shelf brackets, though it's quite possible the seller has mis-identified them.

Case in point: this is not my area of expertise and my first thought was a decorative detail on the underside of a table or an armrest-type divider on a bench or a decorative element of a gate. That's because I don't have anywhere near the wealth of knowledge in this area that sonomabarn has.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Aw shucks! I live in the SF Bay Area and the maritime people have restored one of the old paddle wheel ferry steamers and from my recollection, the castings look about the right height for armrests that would sit upon the seats that one would sit upon. You might check the SF Maritime site for a pic of the seating. In the meantime,  I'll look for fairy benches.  As I said, as a start.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Bingo lol, 100% correct. They ARE shelf brackets. these match the link. 

NOW THIS IS CLOSED Thanks much

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Thanks much. I do think I have the answer. A member of this forum send me a link of salvaged shelf brackets a match to these. 

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

But what if two people are wrong? I would like to see these in situ as proof of them being shelf brackets.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Just awesome. Thanks so much. I would have never guessed that. Wondering now if they had the rest of the stuff at the estate sale. They will have one weekly till all gone so I will ask them next visit. Again thanks.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

And there we are, not shelf brackets but rather legs for a Christmas tree stand! Mix-ups like that are bound to happen and get repeated. Also, I did begin my first post with "As a start..."

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@orphie1402 wrote:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vtg-traditions-cast-iron-ornate-4687104176

Excellent ID!

Visually my first thought was shelf brackets, but practically thought that was unlikely because they are cast iron. That's when I started thinking underside of table/desk, or bench armrest, or some kind of decorative detail like on a gate.

One important element was the shapes at the end. There was one hole for a screw, but then you had these two small flat ends which I assumed indicated one would rest on a flat surface and the other perhaps went into a track as sonomabarn suggested.

Christmas tree stand legs is something I wouldn't have thought about, and it explains the details.

Very nice job with that ID Orphie.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

More info:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134952125727

That listing says it was sold at Costco in the 90s.

GLORIOUS!

Message 13 of 13
latest reply