cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cast Iron Teapot identification

I recently purchased this teapot at an estate sale. On the underside of the lid is a red and white sticker, which is not in the best condition. Do any of you recognize the sticker or style of teapot?20220510_082916.jpg20220510_065759.jpg

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

I can make absolutely nothing of the label. Have you investigated Japanese tetsubin? I'm seeing some with a similar look, but I really don't know, and I don't want to send you in the wrong direction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetsubin 

https://japanobjects.com/features/tetsubin 

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Looks Japanese to me. I have a mid 19th cent Edo kitchen water well set with a wonderful pulley, chains/ wooden chain stops and buckets/ tetsubin rig in my Japanese room. How about a photo you ask. Maybe. The teapot of OP's  looks 20th c. 1950?  but I'm no expert, I just play one on the chat boards.

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

@oldnewjust4you   There is a good chance it is a Tetsubin.  In doing some searches several Tetsubin come up with that same handle on the lid ... looks like an inverted pine cone or a pineapple. 

As to the paper label on the inside of a tea kettle's lid ... that's a mystery, it would easily degrade in time from the steam from the water being boiled ... are there any markings on the underside of the piece?

Mr. L

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 4 of 22
latest reply

No mystery, It is a retailer's paper label, one that never saw use, new old stock as they say. The top has seen moisture and then rusted.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

I know nobody believes me here unless I show proof so...here is proof tetsubin.jpg of these Japanese items I speak of.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

No mystery, It is a retailer's paper label, one that never saw use, new old stock as they say. The top has seen moisture and then rusted.

Yes.   And you can also tell it's newish from the rather poor and rough casting and from the color of that rust.

-

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

... In doing some searches several Tetsubin come up with that same handle on the lid ... looks like an inverted pine cone or a pineapple...

But, for whatever it's worth, that same pinecone (or whatever) knob is popular on Chinese cast iron teapots / tea kettles, too, including on new ones for sale on Amazon.

Of course, who is borrowing from whom, design-wise, I cannot say.

-

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

BINGO @sonomabarn67  ... I restore Cast Iron from mainly old US foundries and they typically had piece markings in the sand casting mold not as a post manufacturing label.  That's why I asked about markings on the underside of the piece.  As to its age it could be mid-century, the rust color will often vary based on the ferrous content of the material being used so that's not always a good indication of age ...

Mr. L

Regards,
Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Good to know. But that label is a good age indicator though.

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

@oldnewjust4you   Would it be possible to take a picture on the bottom on the pot?

Regards,
Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Well, it is definitely 'Asian'.  It could be Japanese or Chinese or .... .  Some would say it is too big for Japanese and just right for Chinese and others might say that it is a 'daily use' piece for a Japanese home in a rural area or for a bigger, perhaps extended, family or an inn, etc.  Both countries used them but with no writing on it and an illegible tag, flip a coin.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 12 of 22
latest reply

I'm not too sure that the tag is such a good indicator of age.  Look at the finish of the lid interior around the tag and then look again at the exterior.  To me, it appears to be a 'produced/manufactured' finish.  I think Mr. L is on a good track with wanting to see the bottom.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 13 of 22
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:
I think Mr. L is on a good track with wanting to see the bottom.

A look inside wouldn't hurt, either.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

What does the paper label say? I think it is a very good indicator of age. I've seen paper labels on cast iron before and like i said i think that it could be 50's or newer.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply