cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot find this Boyds Bear Lowe's Jimmy Johnson moose anywhere.

Hello.  I have this Boyd's moose that I want to sell.  The problem is that I can't find it anywhere.  Not on Ebay, not on other websites... it's as if it doesn't exist.  I see plenty of the #48 bears, but not a single moose.  And no, his outfit has not been removed from a bear and put on a moose.  I bought it this way, new, and the hat holes are big to accommodate both his ears and antlers.

Has anyone else seen this anywhere?  Thanks!!

image1.jpeg

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

It's possible that only very small numbers were made and nobody has gotten rid of theirs yet. Looks fairly recent.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

c*me*4*lefton*info
Trailblazer

You likely already know, but some who read this might not.

I believe #48 Jimmy "retired" this year (as a NASCAR driver) so I would think that now would be a great time to sell this. He achieved legendary status due to his racing record(s) and is a fan favorite.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can we see the manufacturer's label that is sewn into the back of the moose?

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

The authentic bears that I'm seeing have "NASCAR" on the label that is sewn into the animal. I'm sure this was done for legal/licensing reasons. I'm also seeing "48" embroidered directly onto the bear's foot pad on the genuine models.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

image1.jpeg

image4.jpeg

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Well, this is a genuine Boyd's Bear.  It must be from before they started doing that.  The only tags are on the outfit and the moose.  It is 20ish years old...

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

It's actually somewhere around 15-20 years old.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Could the outfit have been put on the moose by the owner?  I say that because I looked at Google images of Boyd's NASCAR plushies and bears were all I saw.  

I don't know much about NASCAR, but if you find out when Jimmie (that's the spelling, per the Google images I saw) Johnson began racing and when Lowe's began sponsoring him, that might  provide a hint as to whether a Bpyd's that is 15-20 years old could have been Johnson, or whether a newer outfit was added to an older toy.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Plenty enough time for someone to be up to some malarky if they wanted to. If you are so sure it is authentic, write to Boyds and ask for authentication. There will be records kept for items so recent.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

The cap doesn't fit! I just had a quick look at the bears. On all of them without exception, the cap is a perfect fit. On the moose, it's all scrunched up. Doesn't that suggest something?

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

I don't know if my eyes are playings tricks on me but the antlers look suspiciously like simple brown cotton work gloves. I have a pair.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

I don't know if my eyes are playings tricks on me but the antlers look suspiciously like simple brown cotton work gloves. I have a pair.

You have a pair of antlers? Who knew? 😀

I think the moose is likely genuine and the clothing added as a home hobby project, as Maxine suggested. Of course if the OP bought it packaged at a store then it's another matter, but my guess would be they didn't.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

But then again... "I bought it this way, new, and the hat holes are big to accommodate both his ears and antlers."

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Perhaps they bought it from a friend or at a sale in new condition. Hopefully OP will come back and let us know, because it does make all the difference if it was purchased in the original packaging with tag.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply