cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aynsley Cup and Saucer

I got these a while ago from an elderly relative, among other items, and I'm considering putting it up for sale.  I checked for sold listings and there were only a few, with the prices all over the place, from about $10 to about $75, including some best offers accepted (which apparently doesn't show the actual price). One thing about the cup I have is that it is all gold inside, like the one that sold for the higher price. So a few questions:

1. How would I go about deciding on a fair price?

2. Are all these cups and saucers more or less in the above range, or might there be a special year or style that would be of significantly more value?

3. I mentioned the inside is gold. Is that real gold? Just want to make sure I use the correct terminology to describe it.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Aynsley Cup and Saucer

And it's pointless for me to do your research for you. Are you under the impression that we are all paid researchers and appraisers here? Well we're not.

What we are are people who know how to type a simple question into Google to get an answer, or at least the beginnings of an answer.

I do hope you have the decency to come back and say thank you to those who went the extra mile for you.
Message 16 of 21
latest reply

Aynsley Cup and Saucer

Maybe the knowlegable people here don't remember what it's like to come to this field with zero information to start with. Maybe they don't want to share information.

I followed all the links I was given but it's not obvious to a novice what to make of the information e.g. if I date the piece what does that tell me about the value? I searched many patterns and couldn't find a match until maxine*j gave me a link to an eBay UK listing with my pattern but that only confused me more as it was listed as hand-painted and signed, which mine isn't. Was it so terrible that I asked a simple followup question about the desirability of printed vs painted items? Instead of getting a simple, courteous answer I get scolded for being lazy? Fact is I have already spent several hours researching and taking photos; I just wanted a little guidance and answers to a few basic quesitons. It's not like I have a vast collection of Aynsley pieces that I want to sell; it's just this one item. If the guidance was that the piece could be worth several hundreds of dollars, then I'd spend more time on it, but not if it's worth about $50. That's all I wanted to know.

I thank maxine*j for her latest post.

trollmama: all you've done is disparage me and provided zero information. Sounds like you have an appropriate username.

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

Aynsley Cup and Saucer

*trollmama* is a friend if mine and one of the least trollish people you'll ever meet.  Like me, she thinks that education is about learning to enjoy learning, and about knowing the tools to learn.  Like me, she was trying to give the benefit of her years and her experience.  Like me, she sometimes despairs.

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

Aynsley Cup and Saucer

My last words here (maybe a duplicate as I keep getting a posting error):

I remembered when I followed your link to the Aynsley marks that I didn't find a match! I'm thinking the attached is what you referred to as a match. I didn't think so as the words Bone China are upright there whereas in my cup they are slanted. Maybe a knowledgable person would know that is not an important distinction, but to a novice it just seemed to be a different mark. You may be so far advanced in this area that you don't remember what it's like to know nothing about it.

You may think it's important to educate me, but as I only have one Aynsley item, that is not what I was asking for. I just wanted simple guidance as to whether what I have is of high value or something not worth spending much time on. I asked a direct question about the meaning of the hand-written numbers on the bottom of the cup (as my research turned up empty) and got no answer. I asked for confirmation about printed vs. painted patterns and got no answer. Your post from earlier this evening finally was helpful, if reluctantly given. Tough crowd here.

I know a lot more about photographic equipment. If someone posted that they inherited a lens and have no idea about its value, I would like to think that I'd be helpful and understanding of their predicament, rather than throw a few google links at them and call them lazy. I would not think such a person needed to be educated in identifying and evaluating lenses and I'd do my best to walk them through the process.

Bye.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

Aynsley Cup and Saucer

FROM FIRST LINK.  FROM AYNSLEY COLLECTORS SOCIETY, UK  NOTE "BONE CHINA" ADDED BENEATH THE WORD "ENGLAND" IN 1934 AND THAT BY 1939 "BONE CHINA" WAS SOMEWHAT ITALICIZED.   IN 1940, THE WORDS "BONE CHINA" WERE NO LONGER UNDER THE WORD "ENGLAND"

1dfc21764f2c7e12be52269e5f981f73.jpg

Message 20 of 21
latest reply

Aynsley Cup and Saucer

I know I said I wouldn't post any further comments, but since you are trying to be helpful...

It appears to me that the 1939 changes were first to to use smaller lettering for Bone China and then to use a scripted one. Neither of those appear like the slanted wording on my cup. That's why I didn't think I had found a match.

Message 21 of 21
latest reply