cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A variation on the Chinese theme.

Please help me attribution. What field of art does this beauty belong to? That is, what  call this art. Size: 43 x 21 cm.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

OK.  Call them Chinese paper and silk dolls, because that's how a lot of similar ones are identified (scroll down a bit to see lots), although that doesn't describe the technique:

https://www.google.com/search?q=vintage+chinese+paper+and+silk+dolls&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2...

and

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=oGLYXeb_C8aq_QaQxrSwDw&q=vintage+chinese+paper+and+silk+d...

View Best Answer in original post

Message 14 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

I do not know if the image is a classical style: a man carrying a gourd, but if you google: (Qi Baishi. Old Man with Gourd) you should be able to find his painting on the subject.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

When I look, I see a man that has lost the use of his right leg. Does the odd looking blue form he is carrying have anything to do with that rather than gourd related? Maybe search for (Chinese man that has lost his leg carrying his prosthetic limb) on his back. Might appeal to medical collectors.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

I'm wondering if OP is asking about what you call this type of art / craft.  It's a figure made of fabric pieces, and it looks like some of the pieces are ever so slightly padded or stuffed.   I'd call it appliqué, something like "Chinese fabric appliqué art" or along that line.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

You're right, I was going for a description of what it was in terms of how to attract bidders. Looking again, yes, padded applique. But looking again, what is that headband, and what is the fruit in his hand?

He does have an issue with his leg though. A fruit vendor injured in the line of duty?

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

The gourd is a symbol of longevity.  I found several paintings similar to OP's appliqué one, and below is a ceramic piece along the same lines, so it's a traditional image, as -vietcoins- suggested.

il_794xN.1647869340_7rpr.jpg

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

OK, I'm wrong.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Smiley LOL
@sonomabarn67 wrote:

OK, I'm wrong.

Never!  Just indulging in a bit of whimsy, surely.   Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Could this be the character?

Li Tieguai (lit. "Iron Crutch Li") is a Chinese mythological figure and one of the Eight Immortals in the Taoist pantheon. He is sometimes described as irascible and ill-tempered, but also benevolent to the poor, sick and the needy, whose suffering he alleviates with special medicine from his gourd. He is often portrayed as an ugly old man with dirty face, scraggy beard, and messy hair held by a golden band. He walks with the aid of an iron crutch and often has a gourd slung over his shoulder or held in his hand.[1] He often is depicted as a clown figure who descends to earth in the form of a beggar who uses his power to fight for the oppressed and needy.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li_Tieguai 

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

Could this be the character?  ...  Li Tieguai (lit. "Iron Crutch Li")

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li_Tieguai 

Could well be.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Hi

Fortunately, with your help, the character is identified but unfortunately the name of this art is still unclear. Here's another masterpiece. When I bought this item, the glass was already broken. I took it out of the frame. I found nothing interesting. There is no indication who, when or why this was did. Both are pictured with the same vegetables. The dress is spoiled. the clothes inside seem to be filled with cotton. Thick cardboard paper is used as background. Mrs size 40/13 cm.

Regards.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@adjutapinto2018 wrote:

Hi

Fortunately, with your help, the character is identified but unfortunately the name of this art is still unclear. Here's another masterpiece. When I bought this item, the glass was already broken. I took it out of the frame. I found nothing interesting. There is no indication who, when or why this was did. Both are pictured with the same vegetables. The dress is spoiled. the clothes inside seem to be filled with cotton. Thick cardboard paper is used as background. Mrs size 40/13 cm.

Regards.

Despite the fact that the fabric pieces are glued to cardboard instead of stitched onto a larger piece of fabric, I'd still call it appliqué art.  If you don't like that, call it "mixed media" art.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

Despite the fact that the fabric pieces are glued to cardboard instead of stitched onto a larger piece of fabric, I'd still call it appliqué art.  If you don't like that, call it "mixed media" art.

Maybe the OP wants to know if there's a specific Chinese artistic term for it? I have no idea if there is one.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

OK.  Call them Chinese paper and silk dolls, because that's how a lot of similar ones are identified (scroll down a bit to see lots), although that doesn't describe the technique:

https://www.google.com/search?q=vintage+chinese+paper+and+silk+dolls&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2...

and

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=oGLYXeb_C8aq_QaQxrSwDw&q=vintage+chinese+paper+and+silk+d...

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

God bless you. thank you very much. It is already possible to satisfy my interest.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply