cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

please advise on shipping bank notes

I have some fancy bank notes, that I'd like to sell. However, I'm not sure sure which method of shipping should I use. Which method is preferred by buyers and sellera? I noticed some sellers offer "free shipping".  How do they ship in that case? Just with 1st class stamp, $1.40 Certif of Mailing, $3.50 1st class package, something else?  Please advise.  Thank you.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

16 Febrero 2018 - Hola melirena:   In the early days of eBay elHeron shipped about 8,000 pieces of paper money.   Starting in 1998.    Heron first would ask you about 'fancy banknotes'?    Are you talking nice fancy designs or fancy expensive in Dollars notes?  Or both?

Heron would use an ordinary #10 business type envelope.   Place the bank note inside a 'plastic currency holder'.   Or multiple notes into a 'plastic currency holder'.

Using 2 pieces of 'boxboard' [this is the type stuff that your cereal and crackers are packed in] and placing one on each side of the currency holder.  This was the method for items under about  $60.   Use plenty of Scotch Tape to tape the envelope securely.   

For items over $60 Heron would package for registered mail.  In Heron's terms of sale he would write that items over a certain amount would be shipped registered mail.  The customer would be charged for registered mail.

During the 10 years of shipping 'banknotes' only one was 'lost in the mail'.  Heron 

sent the customer another note.  It was an 'el cheepo' anyhow.

Please research 'currency holders' and of course talk to other banknote folks.

Visit a local Coin & Paper Money Expo and talk to paper money dealers and obtain their recommendations.   Then you decide.

Regardos.  

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Thank you lots for all the information. I used to sell large, bulky items, that require boxes or large bags. That was easy, just weigh the package and charge the buyer. But I have no experience of shipping small items, so I didn't know what would be best approach. Already got plastic currency holders.
Thank you again.
Message 3 of 3
latest reply