cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Watch out for rolls of coins with promising end coins!

I still see many coin rolls up for auction and the sellers claims they're unsearched and a few have possible key date, silver coin, token, etc.

I warn bidders not to bid or buy these rolls since it's unlikely they're unsearched and it's unlikely they contain a key date. It's more likely they have common coin dates, but the allure of finding a key date has people bidding on these rolls. It's unfortunate but the bidders need to educate themselves about this subject.

I have been searching rolls and dealing coins for over 40 years and in that time I have yet to find a rare key date in a roll of coins. It can happen and does but it's highly unlikely that there's as many as is found at ebay or has been sold at ebay.

It goes against logic and math that so many ebay coin sellers have this many rolls with possible key dates. I see some of these cent rolls sell for $48 to $300 because the end coin is the reverse of a Lincoln Cent with V.D.B. And a chance that it could have an S on the obverse.

Now if the seller thought for a minute that there was a 1909-S V.D.B. in the roll then they're cheating themselves out of a great profit since a 1909-S VDB Lincoln Cent is worth at least $600 and often more.

However, these sellers continue to sell these rolls anyway because they know better, and they know that they can profit more by peddling there hundreds or even thousands of rolls they've amassed by salting the end coins or making a big to do about the possibility of a key date inside.

Oh but the feedback, listed in the description, proving that bidders have found key dates over the years. There's something to be said about over the YEARS, since the seller is selling hundreds to thousands of rolls over these years. If they're making thousands selling rolls like this then they can afford and mostly are motivated to buy a key date and add to one or two rolls a year.

Then you have the semi-keys that are much more affordable that they can add as well and bidders leave feedback for these better coins furthering the farce. You just have to do some math to figure just how rare it is to find a decent coin in one of these rolls and realize that other people are bidding against you and upping the price.

So think before you leap on these rolls because it will save your money and pride.

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Watch out for rolls of coins with promising end coins!

There's no such thing as an unsearched roll or bag of coins.  And nobody puts the obverse of a 1916 dime on the end of a penny roll unless they're pulling a scam.

But, these unsearched roll auctions are so obviously frauds, anyone who bids on them is probably deserving of whatever they get.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply