cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Date Large Antique Buttons Victorian?

Trying to date these buttons. The center is clear faceted glass with oopalecent milky qualtity.Outside seems to be brass wihile underneath design is silver....They are 2 inches in diameter. Any help in dating would be appreciated. -Chris
Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Need Date Large Antique Buttons Victorian?

Chris: You have two buttons which are now described by the National Button Society as "large jewel" buttons. The glass insert being considered a "jeweled" embellishment. Years ago collectors called this type "Gay 90's" to commemorate the 1890's timeframe they were probably produced. True "Gay 90's" designs are very finely constructed of one-piece with the shank directly applied to the back of the button rather than being of 2 or 3pc construction such as your buttons. Surfaces are highly polished and some are silver or gold plated, often of openwork construction. I would say your buttons could have been made from 1890s-1920's, a type that skirts the age range from "antique" to "modern" era per NBS age standards. We call buttons made prior to 1918 "Div. I" (antique) age buttons and those made after 1918 of the "modern" era. the age ranges are being heavily discussed today as being too wide. Many feel the "modern" era needs to be reclassified as "vintage" with only those buttons made in the past 10 years considered "modern". You buttons have toned over time and are no longer as shiny as they once might have been. Some people like that age patina. The opalescent nature of the glass pieces is not evident in your image because it is somewhat overlit, but the attractiveness of the glass embellishment will make a difference in value and collectability of such buttons. I would expect a button like yours to sell at a button show in the $20-$45 price range. If the glass embellishment was faceted, colored and very flashy, value would be higher. Designs like this are not rare so only those in the very peak of condition will sell or much more than noted. It does appear that the leaf wreath like border detail is representative of mistletoe plant life showing leaf and berry details. -Carol C-
Message 2 of 2
latest reply