cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

2. What is the most valuable printed book?

Answer in invisible ink: 2. Was The Gutenberg Bible; now it is the Caxton Canterbury Tales

Note: I think a complete Gutenberg would beat the Canterbury if offered up to auction. However, the Caxton Canterbury is currently the most expensive printed book ever to change hands. 13 million? I forget.....
Message 1 of 7,715
latest reply
7,714 REPLIES 7,714

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

What is the most valuable music manuscript to have been sold at auction?
Message 5551 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

The Glorious Ninth?
Message 5552 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

Close, but not quite.
Message 5553 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

Hmmm... something over five million, eh?
Message 5554 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

No, just a tick better.
Message 5555 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

And a few years before the Ninth.
Message 5556 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

The Mozart compendium - sheesh! "Nine" really was close.
Message 5557 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

549. I missed the reply last night--simultaneaous post. A Mozart manuscript sold for $4.34 million in 1987.
Message 5558 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

550. The first book by this English author, who is known as a prolific writer of children's books, was a three-volume adult novel set in an exotic local, and his second book was about European travels.

Who was he?
Message 5559 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

G. A. Henty A Search for a Secret London, 1867 - 3 volumes.

Second book March to Magdala,London 1868 - 3 volumes.
Message 5560 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

That was for #550
Message 5561 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

550. It's not the author I was thinking of, but it certainly is an awfully close fit--a triple decker, then a travel book.

I did say the novel was in an exotic locale, and the second book was European travels.
Message 5562 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

In 19th century Anglican England, the Catholic Church , around which the plot of Henty's book turned, was thought a little too exotic. There was a popish missionary lurking behind every pillar and tree.
Message 5563 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

550 Oh well, than we are thrown back onto William Henry Giles Kingston's The Circassian Chief, A Romance of Russia, published by Richard Bentley in 1843, 3 volumes.
His second book was Lusitanian Sketches, about travels in Portugal. His novel, The Prime Minister was also released in 1844, I am unsure of the precedence between it and Lusitanian Sketches. Let's call it Lusitanian for the sake of the quiz.
Message 5564 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

Russia was probably considered exotic by many Englanders, despite the amount of common trade and diplomatic intercourse between Britain and Russia.
Message 5565 of 7,715
latest reply