cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this book resellable?

I picked up an estate lot that included "Coal Dealers Blue Book 1950" published by national fuel credit association. On the inside front cover is a statement: (please forgive any errors I'm using a speech to text)

"this book is the property of the national fuel credit association it is loaned not sold and is not transferable it's contents are strictly confidential and for the exclusive use and benefit of the person or firm to whom issued and at the office to which the above service number applies any violation of these regulations entitles the national Field credit association at any time to recall the book which otherwise is to be returned upon termination of the subscription or upon delivery of subsequent issues in accordance with an agreement existing between us."

I have checked the online library of Congress and don't see a renewal of copyright. Just the original filling. Has anyone seen similar language before? 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Is this book resellable?

For what it's worth..

" Under the
1909 act, federal copyright was secured on the date a work
was published or, for unpublished works, on the date of
registration. A copyright lasted for a first term of 28 years
from the date it was secured. The copyright was eligible
for renewal during the final, that is, 28th year, of the first
term. If renewed, the copyright was extended for a second,
or renewal, term of 28 years. If it was not renewed, the
copyright expired at the end of the first 28-year term, and
the work is no longer protected by copyright"

circ15a.pdf (copyright.gov)

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Is this book resellable?

An example only

A cosmetics co can require it's distributors to only sell their product in their assigned territory and not sell them online. But I can inherit those products or buy them at auction or at a yard sale or receive a gift of the product and I'm free to sell it.

Cosmetics samples marked not to be sold  can be sold if you legally acquired them.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Is this book resellable?

That statement was enforced, if ever, until the 1951 blue book came out, and so on until it was no longer deemed necessary to provide a blue book for the industry.

Like Kelley Blue Book for cars. 

I've seen similar claims in similar books and they mean nothing to used book sellers. That said, whether your book will sell to somebody else is a marketing question I can't answer. It can be sold.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply