cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone here been on Antiques Roadshow?

I just found out that I "won" tickets through their online lottery system for the NYC appearance of Antiques Roadshow in August.

Apparently, thousands of people apply for tickets and a random lottery determines who actually gets them.  You have to choose among the cities that Roadshow has chosen for the season and you can only enter one time.

This year, the Antiques Roadshow is making appearances at:

Bismarck, ND

Santa Clara, CA

Birmingham, AL

Austin, TX

Albuquerque, NM

Chicago, IL

New York NY

Charleston, WV

I just chose NYC from that list because it seemed the closest to where I live.  I never expected I would win tickets from the lottery.

I've tried a couple of years in the past and never won.

So now I get to choose what 4 items to bring (2 items for each guest and they send two tickets). 

I already know one item (a small antique toy wooden rocking horse that I bought from my antique dealer friend Paul a couple of years ago --- he has since passed away).  At the time I bought it, he told me he got it from a Washington, D.C. estate and that it probably dates to the mid-nineteenth century.  It's really cool, with some kind of weighted mechanism inside that makes the front leg move up and down when it's rocked.    

Now, the search is on for some other cool things to bring that I know nothing or very little about!

Message 1 of 54
latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

Well, you'll decide on something good before that day.  It will be a new experience, so there should be something interesting to tell later.

Fig

----------
Current avatar: Actress Myrna Loy.
Message 46 of 54
latest reply

Three years later ... a continuation of this thread! 

I never wound up going to the Antiques Roadshow because the train transportation to NYC from PA was over $500 for that particular weekend, and the hotel would have been another couple hundred.  It just wasn't worth it ... I've continued to enter the Roadshow lottery every year for tickets and haven't won anything since that year.    Now,  I carefully research the feasibility of each Roadshow venue (they change cities each year) before I choose that site for the ticket auction.

The real reason I'm continuing this thread is because something happened recently on eBay that confirms what an amazing "world' eBay opens up for us as sellers.  

I recently sold a photo of a boy on a rocking horse to a nice woman in Australia.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/302349095204?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1561.l2649

When I got the invoice info, I knew I had seen her name before ... could it be?  Sure enough, I pulled out my large reference book on rocking horses published in 1992 in Great Britain and the author's name matched my buyer's name!

So I inquired if she was, indeed, the author of the book ... and she was!

I couldn't believe I had actually encountered the author of my rocking horse book through eBay and she couldn't believe I owned her book.

I told her I had purchased it to research my little rocking horse and sent her a few photos of it.  She was so kind to reply:

"Yes, I am the person who wrote the rocking horse book and amazing that you have a copy! Sorry it wasn't more helpful re your horse in photos. It's been some time now since my book was published and I am still adding to my archive of information and images! I am reasonably sure that your little horse is of Italian origin. It looks like the body may be paper mâché or gessoed and painted wood. All these materials are typical of old Italian toy horses. The design and painting style all "say" Italian to me. "

She also told me that owns an American rocking horse that is very close to the one pictured in my CDV and that is why she bought the photo.

So how amazing that eBay connected us this way and I was able to get more info on my rocking horse from a real rocking horse expert!  

Message 47 of 54
latest reply

Nice CDV -- and a great story!

I have never entered a ticket lottery for ARS.  I've thought about it. Maybe next year!

----------
Message 48 of 54
latest reply

I didnt recall this thread, but it gives me a chance to tell my antiques road show story.

Antiques road show came to st. louis this summer.  My friend and I entered lottery this spring, neither of us won.

He heard that some dealers had extra tickets for their customers, and he worked on a connection he had, no luck.

I had spent some time in the hospital with neuropathy problems in May, and didnt know if I could walk that far. (my app showed I walked 1.5 miles that day)

With a week to go to the roadshow day, he said he would pay for tickets if I bought them and took some of his items.

With a week to go, two guys each had a pair of tickets on ebay at fixed price for @ 150.00 or so, plus one guy had a pair at auction ending wednesday.  I think he started them at $25

I decided to wait on the auction, it ended early wednesday,

I messed up, got my time zones confused and signed in 10 minutes after auction ended.  Auction price was around $60.  OOps. I really messed up.

My friend still wanted to go so I convinced remaining seller to accept $125 including express mail shipping, and I got tickets on Thursday.

My friend has some expensive stuff, so I ended up taking 3 items of his:  a panoramic photo of the @1914 yankees and their opponent which was a ny newspaper insert, a tobacco poster for Hassan cigarettes in its original frame from around 1910, and as a backup, a program of the first cardinal world series team of 1926 (against Yankees)

The tickets were assigned entrance times.  Ours were at 10 am

The earliest times were at 8 am,

The show was at the downtown st. Louis convention center.  They used two big rooms, each was maybee 300 feet square.

we arrived around 915 and walked to the front 50 or so of the 10:00 line.  Every 2-3 minutes all the lines would move forward.  The lines were marked off  like an amusement park ride line, which gave us a chance to pass by other folks and sae their stuff.  The interesting part of that was some folks had jnk.  I recall seeing some light oak furniture from 70s or 80s.  And some starving artist sofa paintings from the 60s.  Youch.

All the lines were funnelling to a table with two experts.  Their job was to tell you which category your stuff should go to.

My panoramic photo insert obviously was sports, and the Hassan framed photo was considered for collectibles.

After getting our category assignments we were shown the next room, which is where the set was.

The set was placed in the middle of the big convention center room, and took up maybe 20% of this room.  The set had maybe 20 tables in a large circle, with 2 or 3 experts behind each table.  The cameras were right in the middle of the circle of tables, very limited area.  There were large blue portable walls behind the tables.

A volunteer took us to the end of the sports line and we waited maybe 20 minutes untill we went inside the circle.  There were longer lines in other categories.  As folks had their items unwrapped, this is where we got to talk to folks about their items.  I saw a 1950s dodger team ball with jackie robinson and a 1953 topps set of baseball cards.  The collectibles line had an african shield with a spear and arrows that looked like a tourist item to me.  I really was not seeing scarce items.

Once we were led inside the circle i was 3rd or 4th in the sports line.  The expert was a woman my friend had communicated with earlier in the year and she appeared knowledgeable.

I was not rushed as I unfolded the panoramic photo and our discussion was about the poor condition of the item, which had several tears on the creases.  She said the poster was worth $400 if it was preserved, but she said it may cost that amount to preserve it.  She called over another guy who confirmed the cost of preservation.

Am I sure of their valuation of the panoramic?  No, as she did not know anything about the newspaper who printed it, and did not seem interested in finding out.

She saw the Hassan cigarettes poster and even though it was not for her she seemed interested and gave it a $800 value off the top of her head, saying all the value was because of the original frame,

She then noticed the 1926 world series program in my hand and looked through it carefully.  She gave me a $1500 value which would be correct if it was in a bit better condition.

The routine then required me to go outside the circle and stand in the outside collectibles line.  As I was right next to the collectibles table I used my very sore foot as an excuse to go to the short inside line.  I asked the volunteer to look the other way, which she did.

The collectibles expert said my hassan poster had sold at a recent auction, Heritage I believe, for $650, but mine was a bit nicer, so I was quite impressed that the 2 experts were very close in value.

As I was in line I watched my friend show the tall mustached wild dressing poster expert his poster of a race horse who was advertising a drinking water now owned by coke.  He said he had never seen it

and could only guess at a price.

On my way out of the circle I stepped on the blue carpet behind the camera stage.  I was nicely told the error of my ways, so if I make it on tv that will be my scene,

After I left the circle I lost my friend.  While looking I sat next to some folks who were carrying the biggest pile of junk you could imagine.  A framed print from the 80s of a grandma moses scene, a silver flower bowl that was neither silver or silver plate.  And other less than great items.

I truly enjoyed the day.

Mike

Message 49 of 54
latest reply

Great story, Mike!  Thanks for sharing that.

This year, I entered the lottery and chose Harrisburg, PA as my city of choice because it was the closest to Gettysburg (you have to choose one city for the lottery ... you can't just enter and choose the city later).  I didn't win tickets, obviously.

But I was seriously considering St. Louis as my city of choice, because it's my hometown and we fly to St. Louis at least once or twice each year to visit my Mom and some of my brothers who still live there.  

So it was cool hearing about your St. Louis Roadshow experience.  Did you see anyone getting their item(s) filmed?  

Also, do you know when the show will air on TV?  I'll look for your foot on the blue carpet!  Smiley Very Happy 

Message 50 of 54
latest reply

When I stepped on the blue carpet, while the camera lights were on, the host did not appear to be talking to the person. 

If it was not for the cameras, they really did not look like this was a place where they were filming a TV show. People were calmly standing in line, got a chance to talk to the expert's, and it appeared that the whole focus of the activity was telling people what their stuff was worth.

I watch the show enough to know that the more you act like you know what stuff is in is worth,  The least likely you are to get on TV.  I understood there were 5000 tickets given out, so the odds are pretty slim.

They handed out a brochure when we arrived, they gave some details about the days events. They are going to use the activity on the day I was there to produce three shows.

They said the shows would be sometime in 2018, but did not know. I am sure we will hear plenty in the news around here, and I will add to this thread when I hear.

Because I had helped my friend correspond with the woman sports expert, I had paid attention to what she look like on television. It was funny to see everybody In heavy make up, and everybody looked a lot older in person than they did on television.

To those of you who remember the man who is an expert in posters, he was trully A tall person, and his clothes look like they came out of the secondhand shop for tall people. Very distinctive, however.

I was not looking for tickets on  eBay until the last week,  so I am not sure how the prices were a few weeks ahead. I did notice the three tickets that were listed for the St. Louis show, came from different parts of this country except for one.

The next show that came after St. Louis was in New Orleans, and there were several fixed Price ticket peers that were less expensive.

Message 51 of 54
latest reply

You might know already that first-run episodes of Antiques Roadshow that were filmed the previous summer generally run the following winter and spring (January-May). Their website will have a listing of when each episode airs (and they usually have three episodes per city). And they also don't air the episodes in the order in which they filmed the cities.

They don't yet have the air dates for next year's season on their website.

----------
Message 52 of 54
latest reply

Enjoyed reading the recent stories posted.

imagine.ink - I can not believe it has been 3 years since you started this thread! Good grief on what train transportation to NYC would have cost you on that weekend! My son travels by train from NYC to Harrisburg and it costs him $80 one-way on non-holidays. That was several years ago when I asked him the price. It does go up on holidays and that is why he books far enough in advance of a holiday to get a lower rate. The closer it gets to a holiday, the more the price goes up.  When we travel to NYC to see him, we drive.

Several hundred for a hotel in NYC does not surprise me. My son said that if we ever wanted to stay overnight he would pay for a room at the Waldorf-Astoria. Alas, it closed before I took him up on his offer.  I'll have to look for another pricey one. wink

Message 53 of 54
latest reply

imagine.ink - An even bigger good grief on the price of train tickets! After I posted I sorta thought that maybe the $80 I cited was round-trip. I checked with my son and he said, "$59 one way if booked far enough ahead, $44 one way if you book super far ahead/get lucky." I also realized that the $500 you noted most likely was for two people? But even still, that was a hefty price!! 

Message 54 of 54
latest reply