cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collectible Childrens Books on eBay

As per cc's suggestion, a thread for relatively higher dollar children's books sold on eBay and the ensuing discussions.
Message 1 of 1,283
latest reply
1,282 REPLIES 1,282

Nice sale Michele!

I think the first edition Poky Little Puppy with dust jacket has a big upside - I currently value a VG/VG copy in the $1,500-to-$2,000 range (note that P. Harrington has a copy for sale for $660).

First editions of each of the first twelve LGB's has been increasing in recent years. I recall a set of the first twelve being offered for over $10,000 on Lincoln, presumably sold. The twelve first editions would sell for much more than the twelve collectively as individual copies.

Message 1186 of 1,283
latest reply

Heads up my copy of "Where The Sidewalk Ends" ended up going for $400 last week, I know you said "Fine/Fine, $600-$800, Still not comfortable making that claim. Thanks for the info, Phil

Message 1187 of 1,283
latest reply

picture*books - If you are around or receive email notifications to this thread, you might be interested to know that someone has what appears to be a first edition of "Goodnight, Moon" and started a thread about it asking for info.

Also gives me a good reason to bump up this thread and the other one on American Picturebooks! A lot of great info on both that others may find invaluable. 

Message 1188 of 1,283
latest reply

I have a question about your two copies of Goodnight Moon. Do either have the Harper Blue Ribbon sticker or shadow of the sticker on either of the dust jackets. I have a copy of the Harper & Brothers book and dust jacket. I have a thread trying to find out if this is a first edition that I have.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Booksellers/HOW-RARE-IS-A-FIRST-EDITION-COPY-WITH-DUST-JACKET-OF-Goodn...

Any info would be apprieciated. Thanks.

Message 1189 of 1,283
latest reply

From following this thread,  it seems that you have two copies of Goodnight Moon. Would you mind telling me if either of your copies have the Harper Gold Medal sticker or the shadow image of it on the dust jacket? I have a copy of the book with the dust jacket and I'm trying to figure it out what I have.Thanks.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Booksellers/HOW-RARE-IS-A-FIRST-EDITION-COPY-WITH-DUST-JACKET-OF-Goodn...

Message 1190 of 1,283
latest reply

So my point is the dj Harper Bothers issue with Furry Friends on the front dj flap, has the same single number on the bottom front flap as the Harper Row issue 3060. My Harper Brothers Little Chicken issue has two numbers on the bottom front flap3060 and 6485. Also the rear of mine has two numbers compared to the one on the lff and the Harper Row dj.4080 and 5405 Could it point to my copy being the earlier copy? With the additional number? I'm just try to get some ID points.
Message 1191 of 1,283
latest reply

I don't know if this children's anthology has been discussed previously on the Booksellers' Board: Better Homes and Gardens Story Book.

The first edition was published in 1950 and is distinguishable from later editions by the Pledge of Allegiance not containing the phrase "Under God," which was added to the Pledge in 1954 at the urging of President Dwight Eisenhower, and revised in later editions. 

The edition I recently sold had an original dustjacket (of sorts!) which I had never seen before.  The book was covered in a clear acrylic wrapper and under the front flap of the acrylic cover was this removable paper insert, which remarkably had never been discarded from the copy I sold:

Untitled-Scanned-31.jpg

Just wanted to throw this bit of info out there, because you always see these books in their hardcover condition without the removable paper insert and until I saw this one, I didn't know it existed. 

Incidentally, I sold my copy for $50 as a Buy-It-Now to a woman in Florida who happily stated, " I am so excited to receive this book. It was given to me by my grandfather in 1953. Because of my travels, I was not able to keep it many years ago....but have truly missed the stories and memories from each time I read this book."   

Message 1192 of 1,283
latest reply

I am wondering if this thread is still active/getting readers.  If so, I have a question for those familiar with Margaret Wise Brown.

It seems she published primarily with 4 publishers in her life, two of which were Harpers and Doubleday.  Her Doubleday publications all under the pseudonym "Golden MacDonald" and illustrated by Leonard Weisgard.  I have recently acquired what is a "Stated" First Edition of the Caldecott Medal winning children's book "The Little Island"

This book is also double signed by both Leonard Weisgard (below the stated "First Edition") and Margaret Wise Brown, as "Golden MacDonald" (above the stated "First Edition").

I have not been able to find any other MWB books that are signed that might be comparable as far as rareness and value goes.  Does anyone have any ideas?  Thanks.

Message 1193 of 1,283
latest reply

Stan, the guy who started this thread, has not been around here lately, but he does have an internet presence on the blog he started about collectible children's books.  There is info on his blog regarding "The Little Island" that you may find interesting.

Below is an excerpt from his blog, with the relevant parts boldened:

Five Books In Absentia

First editions for five of the twenty Caldecott Medal winners are not currently being offered for sale on the internet. Understandably it would be a seller’s market for pricing any of these in first edition format with dust jacket. As was expected due to its scarcity Robert McCloskey’s Make Way For Ducklings (1942) is not available. Somewhat surprisingly, one copy of Virginia Lee Burton’s The Little House (1943) is currently being offered for $7,000. First editions in dust jacket for either book do not surface for sale very often.

Similar to the last two years, there are no first edition copies of White Snow, Bright Snow (1948) and Cinderella (1955) currently for sale in the market. These two books are not as scarce as The Little House or Make Way For Ducklings so one would think the demand would eventually cause first edition copies to surface. In addition, there are no first edition copies of The Little Island (1947) or Leo Politi’s Song Of The Swallows (1950) on the market.

The Little Island, illustrated by Leonard Weisgard, is another tough find, in part due to authorship by Margaret Wise Brown, under the pseudonym ‘Golden Macdonald’. Books authored by Brown have an avid collectible following, with The Little Island being the eighth book she wrote under the Macdonald pseudonym. Brown passed away in 1952, and her final ninth and final ‘Golden Macdonald’ book was published posthumously in 1956, Whistle For The Train. While Weisgard illustrated hundreds of children’s books, his work in The Little Island earned his only Caldecott Medal.

(End of excerpt)

Note that at the time of this blog posting (2012), Stan could not find any First Edition copies of "The Little Island" available for sale anywhere.  Due to this, and the ongoing collectibility of any and all works by Margaret Wise Brown, I think your double-signed copy would have an extremely high value.

Here is a link to Stan's blog; I would try to contact him and get his thoughts for more detailed information.

http://1stedition.net/blog/2012/01/search-for-first-20-caldecott-medal-winners.html

Message 1194 of 1,283
latest reply

Thank you for the quick response.  "Stan" does not seem to be active anywhere since about 2015.  There certainly isnt a clear way to contact him on that blog, that is for sure.

As for my copy of this book.  I think it is a First Edition.  It hits the 1st Edition points, but I bought it for the signatures more than the edition, to be honest.  Here is a picture:

Little Island Cover and Signatures.jpg

I have been in touch with MWB's latest biographer, Amy Gary, who has worked with MWBs work for over 30 years and have identified the Golden MacDonald Signature, with her help, as a spot on match, so I am confident in that.

As for Stated First Edition. I see that other websites have listed the following charactheristics as 1st editon:

1) Spine color Black - yes

2) Flap Price = $2.50 - yes

3) First Edition Statement - yes

4) NO mention Junior Literary Guild on Title Page - unsure.  The title page on my books DOES NOT mention "Junior Literary Guild" anywhere, which is a very specific designation, however, on the title page of my book it says

THE LITTLE ISLAND

by Golden MacDonald

WITH ILLUSTRATIONS BY

Leonard Weisgard

Junior Books, Doubleday & Company, Inc., Garden City, N.Y.

So maybe the "Junior Books" thing is what is meant by "Junior Literary Guild" however, if that was indeed the identifying mark, you would think one would say "Does NOT say "Junior Books" on title page" so Im leaning toward it being a legit 1st edition.

I honestly dont care though, in my dealings with Amy Gary, she advised that in her 30 years she never came across a signed MWB Book.  So I am extremely happy to have this.

Message 1195 of 1,283
latest reply

EDIT - and I did just find one up for auction on ebay with "The Junior Literary Guild" mention on the title page and mine is definitely NOT that, so, horay, its a legitimate first edition book!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1946-Golden-MacDonald-THE-LITTLE-ISLAND-Leonard-Weisgard-illus-1st-/1923639...

Message 1196 of 1,283
latest reply

Is the Caldecott Medal printed on your book's dustjacket or does it appear to have been "stuck on"? 

If printed as part of the dustjacket design, the jacket is not the first state.  But if it was stuck on, well, apparently some booksellers did that immediately upon hearing of the Medal being awarded.

See https://blog.bookstellyouwhy.com/tips-for-collecting-caldecott-first-editions:

Books that have won a Caldecott Medal or received an honor often bear the distinct medal stickers on their covers (gold for winner, silver for honor). Booksellers and libraries apply the stickers after a book has won, and subsequent printings of the book’s first edition will also carry a physical sticker. If the Caldecott Medal is merely printed on the cover design itself, it’s not a first edition. 

Message 1197 of 1,283
latest reply

Fantastic find,  by the way!

Message 1198 of 1,283
latest reply

Thanks again for your thoughts and discussion on this book. I did become aware of the Caldecott sticker (stuck on vs printed on) issue early on in my search of answers and it is definitely a sticker that has been stuck on (near the top of the sticker it looks like someone picked at it once), which is why I didn’t raise the question above. But you are exactly correct, that is another FE indicator.

Message 1199 of 1,283
latest reply

@rydogg66 wrote:

I have not been able to find any other MWB books that are signed that might be comparable as far as rareness and value goes.  Does anyone have any ideas?  Thanks.

You could try contacting the seller of this signed copy (it's not your copy), to ask how much they offered/sold it for:

https://www.vialibri.net/years/items/639789/1946-margaret-wise-brown-as-golden-macdonald-little-isla...

Message 1200 of 1,283
latest reply