cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collectible Childrens Books on eBay

As per cc's suggestion, a thread for relatively higher dollar children's books sold on eBay and the ensuing discussions.
Message 1 of 1,283
latest reply
1,282 REPLIES 1,282

1905. First edition. Pictorial wrappers.

Minor soiling and slight rubbing to edges, 1/4-inch closed tear on back cover, else fine. This whimsical story of guinea pigs and rail freight charges was first published in 1905 in the American Magazine; this edition precedes the 1906 McClure, Philips edition that is commonly cited as the first. Butler (1869-1937) was a well known humorist who worked best at shorter length. "... his reputation rests almost solely on one slight but hilarious contribution, Pigs is Pigs" (Kunitz & Haycraft, p. 231)."

I was lucky enough to find a bookplate of Ellis Parker Butler inside a decrepit book at an antique mall, of all places:

With an unusual name like that, it just has to be the same person!

I was just a little disappointed that the bookplate didn't have a pig in the design ...  🙂

Message 796 of 1,283
latest reply

Actually, (currently running) specific items for sale on eBay are about the only things which can't be discussed here according to eBay's rules, because doing so amounts to advertising.  Beyond that, political diatribes end up getting moved to The Soap Box, and the only othet topic which is strictly forbidden is those stupid, worthless dancing squirrels

Message 797 of 1,283
latest reply

Message 798 of 1,283
latest reply

Would youse likes, while you waits for teh Stan, a banala?

Message 799 of 1,283
latest reply

Howdy, first post on the ebay boards.

I have what I believe to be a 1st/1st of Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel. Published by Hougton Mifflin. 1939 on BOTH title page and copyright page. Very good condition, but with no DJ. I've got picture links if anyone needs them.

I would like to make sure that I am correct about it being a 1st/1st. I assume it can be determined w/o the DJ, based solely on the occurance of the date on both pages. I am also trying to get an idea of its value. Copies with DJs seem to be going for 3 to 5K, but I can't find anything for a copy sans DJ.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tyler

Hello Tyler, welcome to the BSB! Fine.books has provided you a link to the first edition points. Here is another link for additional reference. Feel free to reference the material in the link in your item description.

Your book, with the date on the title page (and no evidence of further printings) would look to be a first printing. It is a very difficult book to find.

Virginia Lee Burton, who wrote and illustrated the Mike Mulligan And His Steam Shovel, later did The Little House, which won the Caldecott Medal in 1942. First editions of The Little House are also difficult to find, with one selling at PBA Galleries a couple of years ago for $9700. Although Mike Mulligan is a children's classic in its own right, the high prices for The Little House helps support its market value.

There are two first edition copies with DJ on the market offered at $5500 & $5225 by the top children's booksellers in the US. I would value a first edition book, sans DJ, in VG condition, in the $300-$600 range at retail. Since eBay prices tend toward wholesale for collectible children's books, it would likely fetch half that here.

Message 800 of 1,283
latest reply

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum and new to children's book collecting. Stan I've read most of your website, it's very helpful. Question: Is this forum on Ebay limited to discussion of specific Ebay items only? Thanks and I look forward to participating in the ongoing discussion.

Welcome to the BSB 11*virginia. The Booksellers Board (BSB) is not limited to discussion of eBay specific items.

This thread, by nature of its title, is subject to discussion of books sold on eBay. It endeavors to record prices garnered on eBay for historical reference since eBay completed item search is limited to only the past 15 days. Using the search function within the BSB, a person can search through years of posts to research an item they are thinking of buying or selling.

Message 801 of 1,283
latest reply

Actually, (currently running) specific items for sale on eBay are about the only things which can't be discussed here according to eBay's rules, because doing so amounts to advertising.  Beyond that, political diatribes end up getting moved to The Soap Box, and the only othet topic which is strictly forbidden is those stupid, worthless dancing squirrels

Dancing squirrels are nearly as strictly forbidden as ...

... "After parcel post service was introduced in 1913, at least two children were sent by the service. With stamps attached to their clothing, the children rode with railway and city carriers to their destination. The Postmaster General quickly issued a regulation forbidding the sending of children in the mail after hearing of those examples.

Message 802 of 1,283
latest reply

Dancing squirrels are nearly as strictly forbidden as ...

... "After parcel post service was introduced in 1913, at least two children were sent by the service. With stamps attached to their clothing, the children rode with railway and city carriers to their destination. The Postmaster General quickly issued a regulation forbidding the sending of children in the mail after hearing of those examples.

Thank you, Stan ! the*bumping*squirrel is NOT a child.   I have plenty of stamps.  What's your mailing address?

Message 803 of 1,283
latest reply

Thank you, Stan ! the*bumping*squirrel is NOT a child.   I have plenty of stamps.  What's your mailing address?

<<font class="mce-i">*** laugh ***

Joe, please send T*B*S to this address:

1600 Pennsylvania Avenue

Washington, DC 20500

I will be anxiously awaiting it. Be sure to include your return address prominently on the package so I can return the favor.

Message 804 of 1,283
latest reply

A very nice - nearly unread - set of Reilly & Britton 'Christmas Stocking Series" books. The seller did not feel it warrented mentioning the introduction for each book by L. Frank Baum. Or the illustrations by John R. Neill. The set is housed in the original box.

The set includes Little Black Sambo and Peter Rabbit which are early versions given their relatively recent at-the-time publication.Aleph-Bet is asking $500 for the Little Black Sambo in a lesser state in lesser condition. Prices really are all over the place for these books. Me thinks quite a nice buy.

Item 110768820586 sold for $1059 on Nov. 9, 2011

SIX REILLY & BRITTON CHRISTMAS BOOKS 1905, & ONE 1911; EXC COND; MINT

"UP FOR AUTION ARE THESE ESTATE FOUND REILLY & BRITTON CHRISTMAS STOCKING BOOKS. THERE ARE SIX ALL TOGETHER; "FAIRY TALES FROM GRIMM", "LITTLE BLACK SAMBO", "CINDERELLA AND THE SLEEPING BEAUTY", "THE STORY OF PETER RABBIT", "FAIRY TALES FROM ANDERSEN", AND LAST "THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS". THE PETER RABBIT HAS THE COPY DATE OF 1911. (SEE PHOTO) THEY ARE ALL IN MINT CONDITION WITH THE ORIGINAL CELLOPHANE AROUND EACH ONE. THEY MEASURE 3" WIDE BY 4-1/8" LONG. THE ORIGINAL BOX IS MISSING THE SIDES ON THE TOP."

Message 805 of 1,283
latest reply

Nice relatively early English language translation of Andersen's fairy tales. Evocative illustrations by Weguelin.

Item 120800543140 sold for $405 on Nov. 6, 2011

1893 THE LITTLE MERMAID Antique RARE Book Hans Christian Andersen FAIRY TALES

"This auction is for an original 1893 FIRST EDITION of "THE LITTLE MERMAID AND OTHER STORIES " by Hans Christian Andersen, translated by R. Nisbet Bain, as illustrated by J. R. Weguelin.

Andersen wrote 168 fairy tales between 1835 and 1872. Moreover, Andersen's works were original. Only some fairy stories drew on folktales. The first few were published in "Tales Told for Children" when he was 30.

Stories such as "THE LITTLE MERMAID," "THE UGLY DUCKLING," "THE EMPEROR'S NEW CLOTHES," and "THUMBELINA"  won him worldwide fame. Included in this book are his other classics such as "THE STEADFAST TIN SOLDIER,"  and so much more!

Andersen wrote prolifically, but his immortality derives from the numerous fairy tales he wrote for children.

During his lifetime he was acclaimed for having delighted children worldwide, and was feted by royalty. His poetry and stories have been translated into more than 150 languages. His works have inspired motion pictures, plays, ballets, and animated films, adapting into DVD's, audio books, tapes and CD's. The stories themselves are delightful.

There is a lovely INTRODUCTION by R. Nisbet Bain (1854-1909) who was the most prolific English translator of Hungarian Literature who worked for the British Museum Library and translated many volumes of folklore. Mr. Bain was fully equipped and equally qualified to have the pleasure of this introduction as he was also a biographer of Hans Christian Andersen.

What makes this book more exquisite are the beautiful BLACK AND WHITE ILLUSTRATIONS!!! by celebrated artist, J. R. WEGUELIN. John Reinhard Weguelin (1849–1927) was a Victorian artist and illustrator active between about 1870-1900. He interpreted the neo-classical style of Edward Poynter and Lawrence Alma-Tadema in watercolour. He specialized in this medium in the 1890s, a technically interesting, but financially dubious decision: however, he supplemented his income by illustrating translations of classical texts, such as the Lays of Ancient Rome by Lord Macaulay.

Published in 1893, this lovely book is in GOOD CONDITION for its age; especially to be 118 YEARS OLD.  The original green bound cloth offers a nice pictorial with gilt emblems and title on the cover and spine. There is mild shelf wear as well as wear to the corner boards. The interior hinges remain intact yet the cloth seem is split exposing gauze. ALL 384 PAGES ARE PRESENT AND TIGHTLY BOUND. The text is clean and unmarked. There is mild foxing/blemishes.  There are numerous black and white full page AND in text illustrations that accompany the various stories."

Message 806 of 1,283
latest reply

Hi- I've never posted to this board but I have a question about a book y'all recently discussed- Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel. I have a pretty nice older copy and I'm curious about where the copy places on the first edition- multiple printing-second edition scale of things.

It is not a 1st/1st b/c it does not have 1939 on the title page (I did read your earlier posts!).

However, the copyright says "COPYRIGHT, 1939, BY VIRGINIA LEE DEMETRIOS".

There are no other indications of date, printing or edition.

And I have that acknowledgement to Dickie Birkenbush (spelled exactly that way).

I do not have a Dust Jacket so I'll probabaly just keep it for myself. But, I'm still curious about what I found- what is it and how much is it worth?

Thank you- Carrie

Message 807 of 1,283
latest reply

If it is the Houghton Miffling edition, then it would appear you have a later (but still early) printing of the 1st edition. From the research that I've done, I don't think there is any way to pin down exactly which printing, especially without the DJ.

Here is an early printing with DJ that brought 60, which seems about right given that even later printings with DJs are relatively scarce.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220766095469&category=29223#ht_499wt_1185

Here is an early printing w/o DJ that brought $40, which seems a little high, but what do I know?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190586684530&category=29223#ht_618wt_1165

Speaking of the DJ, I am skeptical about the 1st/1sts in DJs that are price-clipped. Once price-clipped, I can't see any way to detect whether it is a true 1st/1st DJ or whether it is canabilized from an early printing.

Combined with the fact that (1) almost all the early printing DJs seem to be price clipped, (2) adding a DJ tacks on about $4000 or so, and (3) I have yet to see a 1st/1st w/o DJ actually for sale, I wonder if there isn't a lot of DJ deception going on.

Maybe that's SOP, I'm not really a collectible book seller, just a used merchandise flipper that occasionally sells collectible books!

Message 808 of 1,283
latest reply

One of the more difficult first edition Newbery Medal book to find. Surprised there are three copies currently on the market (although two have the Newbery Medal sticker on the front DJ).

Item 270853899875 sold for $860 on Nov. 26, 2011

"Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh by Robert C. O'Brien, Illustrated by Zena Bernstein

Winner of  The 1972 Newbery Medal.

8 1/2" by 5 /1/2" Beige Cloth Hardcover with Dust Jacket, Reddish endpapers, Publisher: Atheneum, copyright 1971 by Robert C. O'Brien, Stated:First Edition, 233 pages.Book is not a Library copy and appears it was never really read.....

Outer page edges have some soiling/brown spotting.....

Jacket has original price of $5.95 and has a couple small  tears at top edge of rear of jacket, some places with creases at edges/inside jacket flaps, etc.

Hardcovers have minimal handling shelf wear, light scratch line across middle of spine.....

Inside pages:no writing, no tears, no folded pages.....Pages have age toning

"

Message 809 of 1,283
latest reply

It appears a copy of the first trade edition of Peter Rabbit sold last week on eBay for $300. By all accounts this would be considered a good buy.

Item 130606399991 sold for $300 on Nov. 23, 2011

"I am not a collector.  I have taken the info from the following website to determine it is a 1st Edition of October 1902- http://www.peterharrington.co.uk/blog/2011/01/first-editions-of-peter-rabbit/  pages 7-11.

This book is in excellent shape.  The cover on the inside has some slight tearing as shown in pics but is very entact.  Very excellent copy!  The following has been determined according to website:

1. Dots in the O's
2. No ISBN
3. Page 14 has pic of Beatrice Potter as Mrs. McGregor
4. Page 51 reads, "and wept big tears".
5. The end papers are proper.
6. Undated, no "Ltd" after publisher's name"

Message 810 of 1,283
latest reply